Noise

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Rene1981

Noise

Post by Rene1981 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:33 pm

Hello,

my up plus 2 printer, makes a litlle peping noise wenn printing, and you can hear the printbed and the nozzle moving.
Can it be that my nozzle is too close to my printbed?

Gr. René

roller

Re: Noise

Post by roller » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:13 pm

Does it go away after the first few layers? If so it is that your nozzle is a little close, the nozzle is being sealed off by the bed (or high points on second layer) and jamming the extruder. This will make the extruder skip a step. If it's not actually scraping on the bed then this should be ok. I set mine up this way on purpose to get better adhesion on first layer and in doing so I don't go through all the crazy efforts to try to get prints to stick even though my prints are hard ones (large and prone to warping).

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:12 pm

Thats definitely the sound of your extruder skipping. Like it was mentioned earlier, that is usually if the print head is to close to the platform on the first layer. Or if you have a filament that is poor quality and gets too thick it might be jamming the print head. Or if your temperature is too low and the extruder is struggling to push the filament through. If you hear the "pepping" sound throughout the whole print and you havent modified your printer at all, check to make sure your printer is set for ABS. You can do that by going into the maintenance window and look at the top of it. If it says PLA, then your problem is temperature. To fix it click on "new spool" and make sure you set it to ABS. If you still have problems, definitely come back and let us know, but most likely its just the print bed being too close for the first layer

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:19 am

"pepping", could alternatively be moisture in the ABS. As the filament hits the extruder heater the 260 degrees will instantly vaporize any moisture and this sounds like a little intermittent popping noise. ABS will absorb some moisture so best to keep the filament in a dry atmosphere.
cheers

Peter

Rene1981

Post by Rene1981 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:54 am

Its still peeping a bit, but its not a problem anymore for me.

Thanks for your help!

Gr. René

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:44 am

I've had a few cheap filaments (usually black, or something dark) that will cause the extruder to skip, or "pep" regardless of what printer I use it on, or what I set the temperature at. Usually its ABS plastic, and the problem I've found with those particular filaments is that even when its hot enough to be melted, the melted state is just still to darn thick, and the extruder stuggles with it. These filaments usually exhibit this behavior if I try doing a print fast, or with thick layers, like 0.3 or 0.4mm thick. But I found on the Up! my solution was to print on the fine speed setting, and at 0.2mm or 0.15mm resolution and that seems to solve the problem, since the extruder isnt pushing the filament through so fast.

roller

Post by roller » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:17 pm

Or use one of Drew's mods to increase pressure on the extruder gear. The different colour additives mildly affect the hardness of the filaments so you're probably observing this when you find the black worse than others. Keen observation.