What is the realistic maximum model size of the UP Plus?

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
jetski

What is the realistic maximum model size of the UP Plus?

Post by jetski » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:27 pm

Hi, the subject already says it:
what is the realistic maximum model size of the UP Plus?

I am asking because I am thinking about buying a Plus or maybe Plus 2 (do they differ in size?) and I read
that the supporting structure takes away some of the 140x140mm in reality, leaving only around 120x120mm
for the actual print? Is that true, or is this outdated information?

Are there any ways of getting around it, but still keep a minimal support structure, so that you get at least,
say, 135x135 or so? As I am planning to do models that will often have a length of 130-135mm, so that's
quite important for my buying decision!

Thank you very much for your help!

ktronik

Re: What is the realistic maximum model size of the UP Plus?

Post by ktronik » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:06 am

If you could hold the board on with out bolts or clips, you would get the 140x140, but its the fact that the print head hits the bolts or clips when laying raft on larger than 130mm prints...if your raft less, then it gives you a bit more wiggle room....but much over 120mm then you can get in to issues with say a square, but if you can angle a longer piece between the bolts / clips, then 135mm is fine...hope I am making sense...

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:51 am

The newer software allows you to print to the edge with the raft. I do a lot of prints diagonally from bottom to top.
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:29 am

not sure what the modern standard for platform is, but the original UP and UpPlus had an anodised aluminium platform that was bolted to the structure and as it had no clips allowed a full 140 x 140mm. Now I know that the plate itself even with the UP paint was not too good at adhering to the ABS, however I have used this plate with a layer of Kapton tape, cleaned with MEK. I find that for most prints this works very well and I can usually get at least 10 large area prints or many smaller prints before changing the Kapton tape

just my veiw
cheers

Peter

jetski

Post by jetski » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:06 pm

Usually the objects I am planning to print are quite flat and have the shape of a wide triangle,
which would be up to 135mm wide at it's widest point.

So do I understand correct that this is no problem at all?

ktronik

Post by ktronik » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:16 pm

jetski wrote:Usually the objects I am planning to print are quite flat and have the shape of a wide triangle,
which would be up to 135mm wide at it's widest point.

So do I understand correct that this is no problem at all?
great news about the new UP plus 2!!

I think you would be fine, also I am happy to drop your 135mm STL into the UP sofware for a test and see if you like..., but think with the right angle you will be fine...K

lukeott

Post by lukeott » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:53 am

I have an Up Plus 2 and as I understand it they changed the design slightly from the original and the clips are now integral and sprung loaded, rather than using separate bulldog clips. As they are sprung loaded they get pushed out of the way by the nozzle when printing raft right up to the edge of the perfboard.