Are some files not printable even if they are STL

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
mollysue

Are some files not printable even if they are STL

Post by mollysue » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:06 am

Hi everyone

I have had my 3dPlus 2 for almost a week.

While I have had some really impressive prints I am having problems with others. Mainly that they print the raft and the base and then start building up the support without the 'walls' of the main construction of the model. Is there a point where some STL files are not correctly made and therefore this happens or is this something wrong with my UP.

If I can get good prints from some files and not others surely this must be the problem, or do you experts have a solution to my dilemma. I have run these 'faulty' files through netfabb to check any problems they may have and netfabb gives them a 'clean bill of health' so to speak!

I would love to hear from someone out there please.

I am beginning to think I may have bought a 'pig in a poke'.
:|

Regards

Sue

teamcarlisle

Re: Are some files not printable even if they are STL

Post by teamcarlisle » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:14 am

When you have the file in your viewport, is any of it highlighted in red? If so, the file has bad normals. Also, is the object properly placed on the printbed in the viewport? And to answer your question yes, some stl files can be bad. Are you creating the files or are you just downloading them from other sources? 3d printing requires a certain discipline when creating 3d files to print. Netfabb is a pretty good resource for finding bad files, I prefer using blender3d though. Also, do you have walls on your print that are thinner than 1mm? The Up software will not reliably print walls thinner than 1mm. You can get away with 0.8mm and occasionally 0.6mm thin walls but its a gamble and you wont know until it actually prints. Trust me the Afinia/Up is not a "pig in a poke", lol. A makerbot replicator would fit that description a little better.

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:41 am

If you want to post some of the files you are having issues with, I can open them and see if I have issues with them as well.

mollysue

Post by mollysue » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:32 am

Thank you Teamcarlisle for your response.

I have been careful to check the files for anything in red and this hasn't been the problem. I have been downloading the files from other sources as I am still trying to get my head around using 3D software (if you can advise me of a software that is easy to understand and use I would be grateful). :?

I shall try blender 3d for checking the files.

It maybe that I am trying to print thinner than 1mm as I am wanting small prints (1/12th miniatures) and this could quite possible be the problem. How would I go about making the walls thicker, is this an option?

I probably used the wrong terminology 'pig in a poke' - sorry - but I was getting a little frustrated when I wrote this topic. I will retract that as I do feel that the Up is a super little machine and hopefully will give me many years of service and fab results.

Hopefully hear from you.

Sue

P.S.
Hi mb20music - I will post you the files (well a couple of them) I don't want to push my luck and hopefully you will be able to see if, indeed, it is because I am trying too small a print with that particular file. Will do this in an hour or so - have chores to do first.

Sue

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:54 pm

mollysue wrote: While I have had some really impressive prints I am having problems with others. Mainly that they print the raft and the base and then start building up the support without the 'walls' of the main construction of the model. Is there a point where some STL files are not correctly made and therefore this happens or is this something wrong with my UP.
Walls less than 1mm thick won't print reliably. Without seeing the STL file, my guess is that you have walls which are too thin.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:34 am

Almost certainly a problem with your files and not the printer. As others have said, if you post a problem file here we can have a look and maybe see what's wrong.

roller

Post by roller » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:43 am

pleppik wrote:
mollysue wrote: While I have had some really impressive prints I am having problems with others. Mainly that they print the raft and the base and then start building up the support without the 'walls' of the main construction of the model. Is there a point where some STL files are not correctly made and therefore this happens or is this something wrong with my UP.
Walls less than 1mm thick won't print reliably. Without seeing the STL file, my guess is that you have walls which are too thin.
I think that's by far the best guess without seeing the files.