Part curls off raft mid print

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
tkerth

Part curls off raft mid print

Post by tkerth » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:14 pm

I have been using the Up! plus for about a year and have tackled most of the problems that normally come up with the printer. About 2 weeks ago, I bought the Up! plus 2 and there are some great improvements to it (support material comes off the part much easier, raft reliably sticks to their version of a perf board) but one major problem. Every part I have tried to print so far has some mid-print curling. One part was so bad that the bottom of the part separated from the raft when it curled. I have tried with the wind barrier open and closed (closed is better) but the parts are still curling to the point where they are unusable.

Extra info:
I am usually printing flat cases (like a plastic iPhone case) in 2 parts which then are glued together. The parts usually have a footprint of around 2 to 3 square inches and need to seal together cleanly. The curling makes them not seal and the cases have a large gap between the 2 halves in the corners.

How can I prevent the part from curling mid print?

Thanks!

mb20music

Re: Part curls off raft mid print

Post by mb20music » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:25 am

Is the platform level?

tkerth

Post by tkerth » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:39 pm

I believe the platform is level. I ran the automated platform leveling command that the Up! 2 has and printed the calibration part to calibrate the z.

roller

Post by roller » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:52 am

Before you print let the heated bed get up above 100C and let it sit there for about 15 min. If that doesn't work you can also improve bonding to the perfboard by starting the nozzle a fraction closer to the bed. Move your start height 0.05mm higher or even 0.1mm if results don't improve enough. This really presses and spreads the first layer creating a better bond.

tkerth

Post by tkerth » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:55 pm

Thanks for the suggestion to get the raft to adhere to the board better. However, my major problem is that the parts seem to separate from the raft in the middle of the print while the raft is still securely attached to the perf board.

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:59 pm

tkerth wrote:I believe the platform is level. I ran the automated platform leveling command that the Up! 2 has and printed the calibration part to calibrate the z.
I would verify that is level by using two sheets of typical copy / printer paper. Move the extruder head around the board using the UP! software to verify that distance from the extruder nozzle and the perboard are as equal as possible.

Also might help putting your UP! in some sort of an enclosure.

tkerth

Post by tkerth » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:40 pm

Here is an image of my part for a better understanding.
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/qpzexaullxnrgu2/yh6gW4MKS9
I am using the official Up! material and the support material is super easy to remove.

tkerth

Post by tkerth » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:49 pm

mb20music wrote: I would verify that is level by using two sheets of typical copy / printer paper. Move the extruder head around the board using the UP! software to verify that distance from the extruder nozzle and the perboard are as equal as possible.

What does putting it in an enclosure do?

roller

Post by roller » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:53 am

tkerth wrote:
mb20music wrote: I would verify that is level by using two sheets of typical copy / printer paper. Move the extruder head around the board using the UP! software to verify that distance from the extruder nozzle and the perboard are as equal as possible.

What does putting it in an enclosure do?
The warping that lifts the parts off is caused by the part cooling and the ABS shrinking and pulling away. By putting it into an enclosure (like throwing a box over it) you keep more of the heat around the print and keep cooler airflow off.

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:06 pm

My parts also started lifting. I found that putting a large plastic storage box over the printer solves this.