Overly hot or is it the plastic?

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Robin

Overly hot or is it the plastic?

Post by Robin » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:52 pm

This is printing ABS at .2mm and the plastic is stringing as the head crosses empty space between the 4 items it is printing.

This showed up part way through a reel of plastic but I don't think the printer is 100% at fault because it is an Afinia and they seem to think you can expect problems if you don't use their own brand plastic. They used to offer a 12 Ohm resistor patch to drop the nozzle temp and fix the un-peelable raft if you used other suppliers filament.

Opening the draught door improved it a little bit.

I put in the 12 Ohm patch and lost about 30degC off the nozzle, it seems to be okay, the plastic is still molten.

Question is, with warranty expiring in December should I panic now? Is this a creeping degenerative disease or am I right in my suspicion that new plastics require lower nozzle temps? I could suggest that if they don't want it back for Christmas they sell me another 12 months warranty regardless. It has just about paid for itself and it would be nice to make a bit of a profit before replacing it :mrgreen:

roller

Re: Overly hot or is it the plastic?

Post by roller » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:16 am

This looks more like an issue with the model than the printer but your picture is a little too zoomed in to understand the context of the issue. Maybe a broader photo and a picture of the model you are trying to print?

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:41 pm

Stringing varies a lot from plastic to plastic, model to model, and with various arrangements of models in the build space. I think it's pretty unlikely that it's a printer hardware fault - if it's feeding filament ok then it's probably retracting filament as it should. You're saying that your result is satisfactory with the nozzle temp lowered? Then all is well.

Someone here (I think it was Roller) suggested using a small blowtorch to vaporize strings from finished parts. I tried it and it works a treat.

julia

roller

Post by roller » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:11 pm

That is one of my fave maneuvers though much to the displeasure of my flatmate when done with ABS. PLA on the other hand upsets no one :)

Robin

Post by Robin » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:47 pm

JuliaDee wrote: Someone here (I think it was Roller) suggested using a small blowtorch to vaporize strings from finished parts. I tried it and it works a treat.
I just checked. All the hairy un-usable pieces are in the big stinky bin outside so I think it is too late. I will remember if I get any more though :mrgreen:

Robin

Post by Robin » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:52 am

I found something odd...

When the UP finishes and lifts the head off the print you get a whisker connecting the two.

When I pointed digi-microscope at it I found two whiskers.

Not a problem, just unexpected :mrgreen:

roller

Post by roller » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:15 am

This simply looks like a temperature issue. The temp needs to be tuned to work with your filament. Since we don't have that in software you could build a temp mod. See Julia and Michael's nice rotary switch versions and my pushbutton version here. This allows us to get great print results and breakaway support with almost any ABDS filament and most PLA and other chemistry filaments.