Printing on an object

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
davng

Printing on an object

Post by davng » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:18 am

I'd like to know if I am able to print onto a flat object say a PCB instead of the platform. How can I set the printer to print with a z-offset?

-dav-

mr6k

Re: Printing on an object

Post by mr6k » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:39 am

I have not tried what you are attempting, but would assume the following.

1, Ensure the pcb is flat over its surface and lays equally flat across the platform. Hold down with some form of clips.
2. The pcb may take longer to heat than the base, however many use perfbaord anyway, which is effectively a "pcb"
3. Measure the thickness of the pcb.
4. Load a 3D object to print, (We are not going to print, but it is needed for the next action)
4 Open Print preview, you will see a number under nozzle height. This is the current highest point that the platform starts at, if set correctly it will be about 0.1-0.2mm below the extruder nozzle (about the thickness of 2 sheets of paper) Note the number in your window
5 Close the print window and open maintenance window. You will see a number next to the To: button in the nozzle/platform window. This number may or may not be the same as that in the print preview window. Regardless, set this number to the number you had in the print preview window MINUS the thickness of your pcb. Hit the To: key and the Set Nozzle Height button and follow the instructions
This will cause the platform to start printing at the lower height that takes the pcb into account.
6 You should now be able to print onto your pcb. Remember to print raftless, a wipe of acteone or MEK over the pcb surface will help with adhesion.

Hope this works for you

cherrs

Peter

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:44 pm

Caution, the nozzle will not know or care about any components in its path and will crash into them, it would be better if you printed the parts separately and glue them on.
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:13 pm

I had assumed we were talking about a PCB without any components mounted. Obviously it won't work with components in place !

cheers

Peter

davng

Post by davng » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:34 pm

Thanks for the detailed instructions, Peter. I think I will try and give it a go.
Yes, the PCB will be unpopulated.

-dav-

LonV

Post by LonV » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 am

Are you printing with conductive filament? That would be awesome.

davng

Post by davng » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:18 pm

LonV, a conductive filament if/when it is available would be very exciting indeed.
Sadly, I'm just trying to print some support structures onto the PCB.