FEATURE REQUEST

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
mr6k

FEATURE REQUEST

Post by mr6k » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:26 am

As instructed by the moderator the topic title really applies to our wish list. So that it is not missed by the moderators etc I copy here the wish list postings.

Edward

I am concerned that your UP plus users wish list is being ignored.

Here is a condensed list compiled from the past 6 months. Can you please let us know which of these subject you are actively working on. I list the wishes in the months they were submitted, bearing in mind that many were also submitted prior to May 2012.

May 2012
1) Ability to turn ALL Support off.
2) Ability when adjusting Z axis, where model goes below the platform, to only print that part of the model above the platform.
3) Continue showing temperatures in maintenance window after job starts printing.
4) User adjustable Extruder head temperature.
5) User adjustable platform temperature + ability to turn platform heater off while printing.
6) Ability to reset total used material to zero. (Only way at present seems to be to reload the software).
7) Show total layers while printing as well as time, (This together with layers printed shows better the progress).
8) When showing remaining printing time, start as print starts not before extruder has warmed up.
9) Put current table/nozzle height back in maintenance window. (It is easier to see where the height is rather than now only seeing it when about to print.)
10) Include a real solid fill mode. (Fill as solid as outer layers)
11) Remove bug that sometimes cause program to abruptly close if loadinmg more than one object.(Or is it just me!)

12) Properly put support under edges and vertices, not just faces (see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=802 )

13) Randomize the start point for each layer, to correct the "seam" sometimes experienced when printing tall thin-walled tubes.

14) add a + & - to the MOVE function, so you can set the distance and move it in BOTH directions without having to constantly change the setting. So you'd set a distance then be able to move "X" in plus and minus, Y in plus and minus, z in plus and minus, without having to constantly change to a positive and negative number.

15) Undo or step back function for move, rotate, and scale.

16) Reverse the zoom scroll wheel function.

17) Ability to position table and print head while waiting for everything to heat up for a print.

18) If a print is cancelled before the job has actually started then undo the amount of material deducted from the maintenance menu, as it has not actually been used.

July 2012
I guess reading others wishes the most important remain,
Ability to turn ALL Support off.
User adjustable Extruder head temperature.
User adjustable platform temperature + ability to turn platform heater off while printing.
Include a real solid fill mode.
Overcome twin thin walls where outer solid wall should exist

August 2012
19) How about a warning when there is a wall too thin on an object to be printed
I reckon having a proper print preview/simulation would cover this issue and others.
-or- This would be best covered with a simple layer viewer that showed the resulting extruder path... Similar to what every other slicer software has...

20) In the Status box, In the Maintenance section of the menu, could there be a space inserted between the C and the word heating, and maybe heating to be capitalised so that it doesn't read as Cheating. Also a degrees sign (°) before the C would be nice. This aught to be done for both the nozzle and platform temperatures.

21) a way of seemlessly continuing when a spool runs out. Having to change the spool means there is always an amount of plastic wasted. Maybe something like a double feed extruder would do the job?

October 2012
22) How about just printing thin walls rather than just marking when they are too thin.

November 2012
23) Tracking for multiple filament rolls. It's a great feature in a small printer to know how much is left on the filament roll but now you have colour choices it would be great to be able to track how much is left on the roll. Maybe you could store an entry for each colour or have it so we can tell the software how much is on a roll when we put it on

24) Being able to print 'thin' walls in one pass!

25) Put the STOP button far from the rest of buttons.

Conclusion
As Julia stated in July, the prime wishes seem to be, in order of “desire” :-

Include a real solid fill mode.
Overcome twin thin walls where outer solid wall should exist
User adjustable Extruder head temperature.
User adjustable platform temperature + ability to turn platform heater off while printing.
Ability to turn ALL Support off.
And of course a mechanical solution to the UP mini platform levelling issue.

I have not tried 1.18 software, mainly due to the apparent negative reports on this site, but I get the impression that none of these wishes have been implemented, and all the manufacturers effort has gone into a software “bodge fix” for the Up mini platform levelling, which really needs a mechanical fix. This is a great shame. My observation is that the manufacturer is now attempting to “con” UP mini users who have unlevel platforms into accepting a dubious fix that they claim means the printer meets its specification, when it does not..

Edward, please remember your faithful UP plus customers who seem to have been deserted in favour of the rush to cover up the mini design fault..

Cheers

Peter

marto

Re: FEATURE REQUEST

Post by marto » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:23 am

I don't think these are really Plus specific. All of these would be appreciated on mini.

Also you forgot the beeping....

madprinter

Post by madprinter » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:24 pm

I support these feature requests too.

roller

Post by roller » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:53 pm

Almost all of these are software request which would affect the Plus and Mini equally.

ahd71

Post by ahd71 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:31 pm

26) Optional disable beep ("nightmode") (mentioned before, now have a tracking number :-)
27) Add "Maintanance" option as menu button (i use that much more often than for example "about")
28) (Don't) display bed temperature for Up! Mini; As hw does not have anything meassuring temp it causes confusion with a invalid static value presented.
29) Display the fill mode labels (solid/semi-solid/../hollow) in the setup window as texts in ADDITION to the images (i recall reading it was text before, from my point of view text+images are the best; i.e when writing a manual "printlog" or discussing with others (what i printed and which settings i used it's easier to have the correct & identical terminology)
30) Automatic print log (just a simple one-line-log entry with info such as print time, filename(s) and settings used.

And by the way. +1 for OPTIONAL "thin wall support" (checkbox) for me too.

amwales

Post by amwales » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:02 pm

Please allow us to disable the beeping. I want to use my printer at night and it is waking
everyone in the house and annoying the neighbours. I really don't want to disconnect the
speaker as this would probably void my warranty.

Fred

Post by Fred » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:43 pm

Mine's in the room next to my 1 year old son and I only get time to use it once he's asleep. I'm going to have to go in there with some wire cutters, warranty or not.

roller

Post by roller » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:20 am

You'll need a soldering iron not wire cutters.

Make sure you have the latest firmware - on the Plus this makes it quicker and quieter. Then you can cover it in blu-tac or doublesided tape which muffles it further if you want a non destructive method.

albill

Post by albill » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:17 pm

amwales wrote:Please allow us to disable the beeping. I want to use my printer at night and it is waking
everyone in the house and annoying the neighbours. I really don't want to disconnect the
speaker as this would probably void my warranty.
Print this and put it over your speaker. It takes 80% or more of the beeping away by volume: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:31957

albill

Post by albill » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:18 pm

The biggest issue for me is the inability to control extruder and bed temperature. Some filament is more sensitive than others and I need to be able to run, at my choosing, between 230 and 260 C for ABS. I need similar control for PLA. The ability to turn off the heated bed for PLA would be good.

roller

Post by roller » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:32 am

Temp refinement is essential to great printing with PLA - we spend a lot of prep time in reprap land finding out the ideal temp for a PLA spool. There is an aftermarket piece of hardware for this. I've not tried it as it's too pricey for me and my Up is staying stock to be both warranty friendly and because I want it trouble free - I have repraps to mess with.

I think 80% reduction from the buzzer cap is a vast over statement - I found when I got my Plus it was also going to be hard to fit and tried a tiny square of foamy double sided tape (the stuff about 1mm thick) and it did an even better job. Between the tape and latest firmware it's acceptable and doesn't wake anyone.

nz_andy

Post by nz_andy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:56 am

#13) Randomize the start point for each layer, to correct the "seam" sometimes experienced when printing tall thin-walled tubes.

This would be my top priority fix, this is always coursing me grief, printing on a 10deg angle works for some parts but messes up the nice finish or features on others.
Will be very glade when this one is sorted, the machine would then be a lot more versatile, really it is a problem with this machine.

ATTIgeek

Post by ATTIgeek » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:45 pm

Put my vote in for the full solid option. Instead of having radio buttons, why not a drop down list entry or better yet and entry box where you can specify the percentage?

Would like to see an option that forces the print job to wait until the platform is up to a specified temperature before printing. This could be in the form of a check box, or an entry box where you specify the allowable platform temperature before printing.

frankkolk

Post by frankkolk » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:55 pm

This is pretty much generic for the Up! mini and the Up! plus i think:
but the feature I'm requesting is to have the bed drop a little lower when the head is searching for new coordinates.
I notice when printing large objects the head is hitting the walls when searching for a new location to start from again.
I've had two cases where it hit the wall so hard it knocked off a layer, this setting can easily be fixed in the slicer settings i think.

so nr. ?? ) have a different Z value for head search actions to gain clearing distance to the printed object.

Thank you,
Frank

roller

Post by roller » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:59 am

Frank, that shouldn't happen. When your head is doing a rapid the only time is should hit a wall it if your print is warping and lifting off the base or the bed is warping (I find the perfboards warp a little as they are heated - possibly due to our humid climate). Look through the forums for fixes and assistance with the former and just make sure the perfboard is clipped down in the middle and consider checking for a highpoint in your heated bed if you have a Mini.

BTW I have noticed the Up already does some nozzle lifts before doing at least some rapids - this is more than any other printer does and they don't have to do nozzle lifts to avoid hitting the print unless the print itself is failing by warping or coming loose.

dogbert

Post by dogbert » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:30 am

Hi everyone that wanted to stop the beeping - try printing one of these -
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:31957
It's an UP!/Afinia speaker cover - cuts out the sound by 2/3 !

dogbert

Post by dogbert » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:36 am

I posted this in another thread, but I'll post it here in the official feature request -

It's kinda funny... with ABS I LOVE the UP!!!! :D :D :D
For PLA - The UP! has KILLED MY INNER CHILD :cry: :cry: :cry:
With the fixed settings for extruder temp and bed temp I CANNOT get PLA to stick properly to the bed. The only way i could get them to stick was with mods to trick the UP! to certain temps.

Because of the above is mostly how my wish list came about - (adding another vote to the already mentioned :) )
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE could you add the following -
- Ability to turn ALL Support off.
- User adjustable Extruder head temperature.
- User adjustable platform temperature + ability to turn platform heater off while printing.
For hardware -
- Please add "full power off" after finish of print.
(I have had SO MANY times when a print is finishing off in the middle of the night - this would seriously help)

Also, could someone from PP3DP please let me and everyone know what might be happening with these?
These I think are the fundamental serious things that REALLY need to be added/changed.

Thankyou for your time.

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:23 pm

I know this is off topic
dogbert wrote:Hi everyone that wanted to stop the beeping - try printing one of these -
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:31957
It's an UP!/Afinia speaker cover - cuts out the sound by 2/3 !

Excellent dogbert!! Thanks for sharing this item :D Good dimensions, download, print, install, it was no stretch eh..... stress!
Always breath out on the way UP

dogbert

Post by dogbert » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:13 am

All good! :)

I noticed after I hit the Submit button that albill posted it before I did - oops. hehe.

roller

Post by roller » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:35 am

I tried one of those speaker covers but it did not fit - stuff was in the way so I put a little square of the thick (1.5mm) foam double sided tape on the top of my speaker and it had a similar effect. Pretty quiet now.