Difficult/impossible raft separation when using PLA

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
bobjohn1

Difficult/impossible raft separation when using PLA

Post by bobjohn1 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:47 pm

Using the ABS filament that came with the printer it is AMAZINGLY easy to remove the part from the raft, but when I try to use my PLA, the prints have to be cut off of the raft. In addition to this, there is some nasty spider-webbing that I can't seem to get to go away. Is this just the way it is with PLA? I have another 3D printer and I'm able to use PLA just fine, so this is pretty frustrating for me.

roller

Re: Difficult/impossible raft separation when using PLA

Post by roller » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:24 am

PLA neds a lot more fine tuning of the temp. I am finding printing on the ABS setting with a print mod to lower the temp to something ideal is producing the best results. Before you resort to that though try printing with a desk fan or similar blowing on your print while it's printing.

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:13 pm

bobjohn1 wrote:Using the ABS filament that came with the printer it is AMAZINGLY easy to remove the part from the raft, but when I try to use my PLA, the prints have to be cut off of the raft. In addition to this, there is some nasty spider-webbing that I can't seem to get to go away. Is this just the way it is with PLA? I have another 3D printer and I'm able to use PLA just fine, so this is pretty frustrating for me.
Since version 1.15 of the Windows Up software the settings for PLA are different. I only print PLA with this version, you can install it along with a newer version for ABS (like Up 2.0).

It takes only 2 minutes and when installing just use a different install folder name (Up 1.15), just try it and the PLA will probably print just as nice as with ABS in newer software versions! :D

roller

Post by roller » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:59 am

I keep forgetting about this and must try it.

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:32 pm

And did anybody try it? I would like to know so I'm not the only one crying in the desert that PLA runs good with software version 1.15 :lol:

I see a lot of posts about problems with PLA so I would like to know if anybody has solved their problems by using that version.

roller

Post by roller » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:59 am

I would if I was in Windows much to give it a go and since I can't be sure of the Mac equivalent (though I can be sure it will crash every 30 seconds). I am finding modding down the temp with ABS settings is working well with colorfabb PLA. I don't have my cooling mod yet to run any other PLA long enough for a decent test.