Bubbling on my parts

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
ftdesigns

Bubbling on my parts

Post by ftdesigns » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:51 pm

On these parts, the bubbling just looks horrendous. Is this because moisture is getting into the plastic?

Are there other causes of bubbling?

Edit: both printed at .4mm layer thickness and fast speed setting
Attachments
biz card holders.jpg
biz card holders.jpg (188.88 KiB) Viewed 10560 times

twocycler

Re: Bubbling on my parts

Post by twocycler » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:02 pm

In my experience, that's exactly what I see when my filament is water logged. I put the spool in a Tupperware box with silica gel cat litter for 2-3 days and it prints cleanly again.

ftdesigns

Post by ftdesigns » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:16 pm

twocycler wrote:In my experience, that's exactly what I see when my filament is water logged. I put the spool in a Tupperware box with silica gel cat litter for 2-3 days and it prints cleanly again.
Do you completely surround the spool with the litter or do you keep them separate but in the same tupperware?

twocycler

Post by twocycler » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:40 pm

ftdesigns wrote:
twocycler wrote:In my experience, that's exactly what I see when my filament is water logged. I put the spool in a Tupperware box with silica gel cat litter for 2-3 days and it prints cleanly again.
Do you completely surround the spool with the litter or do you keep them separate but in the same tupperware?
I usually put the spool in the empty container and fill the center ring up with cat litter. The container I use has a raised center ring that just snaps into the center ring of the spool...like it was made for it. :D The gel crystals usually don't come in contact with the filament that way.

ftdesigns

Post by ftdesigns » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:36 pm

twocycler wrote:
ftdesigns wrote:
I usually put the spool in the empty container and fill the center ring up with cat litter. The container I use has a raised center ring that just snaps into the center ring of the spool...like it was made for it. :D The gel crystals usually don't come in contact with the filament that way.
do you ever have to get rid of the gel crystals because they absorbed too much moisture?

roller

Post by roller » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:35 am

I keep all my filaments in a drum with kitty litter at the bottom. It becomes less effective with time so I replace it every 3 months in summer (our humid months) and keep the one lot all the way across winter when it's pretty dry here. If there are any signs of excess water in any of my filaments from the drum I refresh the litter and put it in the sun for a couple of days (during daylight hours) which drys everything up nicely and replace the kitty litter again at the end of this. The drum has a radius of about 25cm and I put 3cm of litter in the bottom.

ftdesigns

Post by ftdesigns » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:16 pm

I'm not quite sure if it's a moisture issue. I bought some crystal kitty litter and left it in a container with my purple ABS for a few days and the bubbly appearance remains.

The part on the left was printed after being exposed to kitty litter for a few days, the part on the right is my first time showing the issue.
Attachments
moisture_3dpart.jpg
moisture_3dpart.jpg (148.99 KiB) Viewed 10464 times

roller

Post by roller » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:41 pm

A few days is not enough for the moisture signs you are showing without some heating or with some of the high end silica gel (or other power desiccant). Normal kitty litter is good for maintain your filament but not for recovering it, at least not quickly unless it gets some heat. If you can store you container in the sun for a couple of days to cook it out or give it some oven roasting it probably wont improve.

Others may have a better experience but this is probably because you live in a drier climate.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:30 pm

It could maybe, possibly, be due to a partially clogged nozzle, too. When you do a manual extrude, does the extrusion come straight out smoothly, or does it try to curl? If it's curling you may need to clean the "center chamber" of your nozzle - after soaking in solvent for a while, gently twist a 1/16" drill bit around in there to remove gunk.

julia

roller

Post by roller » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:38 pm

Actually, curling is often a red herring to having a blockage. If you over or underheat some filaments when you extrude you will also often get curling. Same if your nozzle exterior isn't immaculate or equally smooth then the filament has a tendency to stick on one side. I spent weeks chasing that false indicator early in my reprap days. Curling just happens.

You might be able to notice surging in your extruded filament though - it will appear to extrude fast then slow. There will generally not be the crackling or little puff(of steam) that goes with it being the result of too much water. I think you just haven't done enough to get the water out.

Kitty litter in my sealed container just keeps the humidity in the mid 50s - not low enough to really suck water out of the filament at any great rate.

Also, your filament should be free of any dust when you print - most of use run it through a dry sponge during feeding to wipe it down.

ftdesigns

Post by ftdesigns » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:37 pm

So I just baked my purple filament for 3.5 hours in a toaster oven and it actually worked -- all bubbling was eliminated!
Thank you all for contributing and helping :D

Now, I just need to come up with a process for baking all of my plastic spools without damaging the spool itself (see pic below). Any ideas and suggestions are appreciated.
Attachments
bubbling solution2.jpg
bubbling solution2.jpg (255.22 KiB) Viewed 10376 times
bubbling solution1.jpg
bubbling solution1.jpg (207.36 KiB) Viewed 10376 times

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:27 pm

Great experiment, thanks for sharing your results! As for the spool melting, that's easy: lower temperature for a longer amount of time. And that's the problem with toaster ovens: they're not usually good for low temperatures :(

doraemon

Post by doraemon » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:22 am

Lower temp for longer hours makes me think of food dryers. :mrgreen:

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:50 am

doraemon wrote:Lower temp for longer hours makes me think of food dryers. :mrgreen:
Or lab ovens...

roller

Post by roller » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:32 am

Or my low tech solution ... a box or drum sitting in the sun all day. Black for ABS and a lighter colour for PLA. Black gets the box interior too hot for some PLA!