Aftermarket Filament Settings Thread.

Anything related to 3D Printing...
Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Aftermarket Filament Settings Thread.

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:49 am

Hi folks.

Now we have adjustable temp profiles in studio I'd like to suggest a thread where we share results of using aftermarket filaments, just to eliminate a load of duplicated effort.

(TT Jason has stated he's happy for such a discussion on the TT forum.)

To get the ball rolling:-

Filament:- RS ABS PRO ORANGE
Result:- Excellent
PN:- 832-0333
Supplier:- RS
Roll Size:- 1KG
Cost per Roll:- approx £23
Printer:- UPBOX
SW:- 2.17
Printer Config:- Default ABS+
Notes:- Consistently clogged / jammed on Studio 1.0.0.4 on default ABS+ setting, not yet tried custom profiles; will retest on next studio release.

Also identical results for other colours in the range:-

Filament:- RS ABS PRO PINK
PN:- 832-0346

Filament:- RS ABS PRO GOLD
PN:- 832-0349

Filament:- RS ABS PRO SILVER
PN:- 832-0337

Cheers,

Owen S.

arhi

Re: Aftermarket Filament Settings Thread.

Post by arhi » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:56 am

ESUN ABS YELLOW (1kg cost below 18€)
PRINT TEMP: 225-235C
235C
printing fast: not properly working
printing normal: ideal top layer finish, great walls, ugly overhang, strong part, support very hard to remove
printing slow: ideal top layer finish, great walls, ugly overhang, strong part, support fused

225C
printing fast: not working
printing normal: ideal top layer finish, great walls, acceptable overhang, not so strong part, support easy to remove
printing slow: ideal top layer finish, great walls, acceptable overhang, acceptably strong part, support very hard to remove

below 225C - part is too weak, and nozzle jams and.. it does not work
over 235 - support is integrated into part, there's stringing, blobs and wall gets greasy
Last edited by arhi on Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

tel

Post by tel » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:25 pm

Similar to arhi on eSUN, have tried Yellow, white, silver all similar. Ive found the best temp at 232 on Normal so almost smack in the middle of arhi - using UPBox

Aurarum filament in Australia - have tried a number of ABS colours and never got a decent print so have given up on them. The filament seems to be inconsistent in its diameter and get extruder knocking and jamming as a result on the UPBox.

arhi

Post by arhi » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:33 am

you can properly remove support with 232C ? on esun?

btw on esun black I had to go lower in themp then white and yellow, also the luminescent one had to go lot lower ... don't know exact numbers as it was using my mod to drop temp down, will play with studio with them when this yellow one is gone :D

tel

Post by tel » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:01 am

Havent found any probs in removing rafts at that temp. In the main the support is also pretty good to remove, Ive had one occasion where the support also took part of the print with it, but aside from that its been pretty good.

I got a roll of the eSUN skin colour PLA but havent managed to get that printing yet, tried a few profiles but no luck so far.

MakerTree3D

Post by MakerTree3D » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:57 pm

We've found that our own ASA filament works very well with the Up! Box, after failing with many other types and brands of filament so far.

MakerTree 3D - http://www.MakerTree3D.com
Filament Type: ASA filament
Filament Color: black
Print Temp: 240c
Platform Temp: 90c
Up! Studio software - normal setting and have tested both 0.2mm and 0.25mm layer heights successfully

Prints done at 230c created a slight jam about half way through a 5 hour print. Bumping up the temp to 240c seems to work very well, and we've completed (3) 17 hour prints at this temperature so far. The prints are very strong, no warping using the perf board and Elmers Extreme glue stick. (I even use this when printing with the official TT ABS).
The Raft pulled off very easily and cleanly just as it does with the official TT ABS. Supports came out perfectly and the ASA seemed to do an exceptional job with overhangs much like the official TT materials.

This is not a cheaper solution other than the official TT ABS, but rather another material to add to the tool box of end-use capable options to have available. ASA is much like ABS in the way it prints, being acetone soluable, high heat resistance, but differs from ABS in that it has a high UV resistance as well. This additional UV resistance attribute allows ASA to be an ideal selection for parts that will be used in outdoor applications.

tel

Post by tel » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:30 am

eSUN PLA skin colour 1.75mm

Temp 220
Platform 20
Fast - doesnt work, jams in extruder
Normal - Have had mixed success, I get knocking in the extruder and jams probably 60% of the time
Fine - Haven't ng good sucess, no failed prints to date.

Support a little dificult to get off, but it does come off.

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:31 am

Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

tel

Post by tel » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:19 am

Wow Drew, thats brilliant. Any chance of getting a copy of the excel spreadsheet.

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:41 am

tegregg wrote:Wow Drew, thats brilliant. Any chance of getting a copy of the excel spreadsheet.
wrote:I hope this will help someone out there.
If you are kind in your PM to me I will send a copy of the Excel spreadsheet for you to play with on your own.
Happy printing everyone!
Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

vmstech

Post by vmstech » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:37 am

I've seen quite a few makes on here that I don't recognise, I'm guessing they're only available in the US?
Would it be possible to add the country of purchase on there? Then I can look out for the UK ones.
Cheers,
Heather