resin vs filament?

Anything related to 3D Printing...
Post Reply
mec949
Posts:123
Joined:Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:16 am
Location:NSW Australia
resin vs filament?

Post by mec949 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:42 am

I havean up plus 2, which I am vrry happy with.
But I have seen resin printers becoming cheaper with excellent resolution.
Examples being the ibox nano (I know tiny build area) note if the small one is sucessful a bigger one will be released.

What are your thoughts and experiences?

User avatar
wilsonj
Posts:569
Joined:Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:26 pm
Location:Australia

Re: resin vs filament?

Post by wilsonj » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:59 pm

SLA gives better quality and resolution, but it is generally smelly, sticky, messy and more expensive.

Parts from SLA machines can also be much stronger, but also brittle and sensitive to sunlight which increases this issue over time.

I've had a Form1 and Form1+ as well as have a MakeX on the way. So far not impressed. My FDM printers keep working away, while I mess around and spend painfully large amounts of money getting the Form1 to work. Which it currently doesn't.

Bottom line for me, if the SLA printer worked successfully as often as the FDM then there would be no question which I prefer. But that just isn't the case, at least in my experience.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

mec949
Posts:123
Joined:Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:16 am
Location:NSW Australia

Re: resin vs filament?

Post by mec949 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:36 am

wilsonj wrote:SLA gives better quality and resolution, but it is generally smelly, sticky, messy and more expensive.

Parts from SLA machines can also be much stronger, but also brittle and sensitive to sunlight which increases this issue over time.

I've had a Form1 and Form1+ as well as have a MakeX on the way. So far not impressed. My FDM printers keep working away, while I mess around and spend painfully large amounts of money getting the Form1 to work. Which it currently doesn't.

Bottom line for me, if the SLA printer worked successfully as often as the FDM then there would be no question which I prefer. But that just isn't the case, at least in my experience.
Wow that is surprising considering the reputation they have.
I have been looking for a decent resin printer just so I dont have to be limited by the f* support material, which, lets face it is a pain.
Have you looked at the ibox nano for small stuff? Apparently, if it is successful they will release a bigger one half way through the year

User avatar
DrewPetitclerc
Posts:581
Joined:Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:39 am
Location:Silicon Valley California
Contact:

Re: resin vs filament?

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:07 am

mec949 wrote:
wilsonj wrote:I have been looking for a decent resin printer just so I dont have to be limited by the f* support material, which, lets face it is a pain.
You do realize that the "resin" printers still have support material you will have to remove, just think about how the parts are printed and you will come to realize that the only printers currently that can print without any support are the "powder" based printers as the excess powder acts as the support.
Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

roller
Posts:1622
Joined:Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:09 pm
Location:Brisbane, Australia

Re: resin vs filament?

Post by roller » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:56 am

Which is why my drew is a cheap reliable powder printer.

mec949
Posts:123
Joined:Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:16 am
Location:NSW Australia

Re: resin vs filament?

Post by mec949 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:01 am

DrewPetitclerc wrote:
mec949 wrote:
wilsonj wrote:I have been looking for a decent resin printer just so I dont have to be limited by the f* support material, which, lets face it is a pain.
You do realize that the "resin" printers still have support material you will have to remove, just think about how the parts are printed and you will come to realize that the only printers currently that can print without any support are the "powder" based printers as the excess powder acts as the support.
Regards
Drew
Of cause I know they still need supports.
I am under the impression that they may need less support than filament printers.
roller wrote:Which is why my drew is a cheap reliable powder printer.
what sort of printer is this ? havnt heard of A "drew" or have I misread your post

User avatar
wilsonj
Posts:569
Joined:Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:26 pm
Location:Australia

Re: resin vs filament?

Post by wilsonj » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:33 pm

mec949 wrote:
wilsonj wrote:SLA gives better quality and resolution, but it is generally smelly, sticky, messy and more expensive.

Parts from SLA machines can also be much stronger, but also brittle and sensitive to sunlight which increases this issue over time.

I've had a Form1 and Form1+ as well as have a MakeX on the way. So far not impressed. My FDM printers keep working away, while I mess around and spend painfully large amounts of money getting the Form1 to work. Which it currently doesn't.

Bottom line for me, if the SLA printer worked successfully as often as the FDM then there would be no question which I prefer. But that just isn't the case, at least in my experience.
Wow that is surprising considering the reputation they have.
I have been looking for a decent resin printer just so I dont have to be limited by the f* support material, which, lets face it is a pain.
Have you looked at the ibox nano for small stuff? Apparently, if it is successful they will release a bigger one half way through the year
Actually I find the Form1 uses just as much, if not more support than FDM, and is often much harder to remove and requires sanding the area afterwards.

As Drew mentioned, only SLS powder based systems will offer true support free printing.

No haven't tried the ibox nano, but as it works in basically the same way it will have all the same issues.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

teamcarlisle
Posts:180
Joined:Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:00 am

Re: resin vs filament?

Post by teamcarlisle » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:26 pm

I was also under the impression that the Form1 uses just as much if not more support. Apparently with the Form1 and, I would assume, other resin printers in general they usually place objects at an angle on the print bed, instead of flat. I believe is has to do with the peeling process, and forces bring exerted. I've seen a lot of photos of resin prints that could have been done on an FDM printer without support, but on the resin printer they had to use support. With resin being a lot more expensive than filament, that makes for some very expensive support material by comparison.

http://formlabs.com/en/support/help/bas ... our-print/
http://formlabs.com/en/support/help/adv ... pports-do/

roller
Posts:1622
Joined:Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:09 pm
Location:Brisbane, Australia

Re: resin vs filament?

Post by roller » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:06 am

roller wrote:Which is why my drew is a cheap reliable powder printer.
Oh dear ... some horrible autocorrect there. I meant, "Which is why my desire is a cheap reliable powder printer."

User avatar
DrewPetitclerc
Posts:581
Joined:Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:39 am
Location:Silicon Valley California
Contact:

Re: resin vs filament?

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:08 am

roller wrote:
roller wrote:Which is why my drew is a cheap reliable powder printer.
Oh dear ... some horrible autocorrect there. I meant, "Which is why my desire is a cheap reliable powder printer."
I just thought you where thinking about me when you where typing and felt myself blush. :oops:
:lol:
Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

caesar
Posts:64
Joined:Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:32 am
Location:Romania

Re: resin vs filament?

Post by caesar » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:51 am

roller wrote:
roller wrote:Which is why my drew is a cheap reliable powder printer.
Oh dear ... some horrible autocorrect there. I meant, "Which is why my desire is a cheap reliable powder printer."
Still, have to admit that it came out perfectly. Maybe that autocorrect was on to something ;)
You made my day!
Cheers

brainzilla
Posts:141
Joined:Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:41 pm

Re: resin vs filament?

Post by brainzilla » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:19 am

Yeah SLS is the way to go...
But then you have all that nasty dust at home. Not really a thing I want want to mess with.

I have some Nylon SLS prints from shapeways, they are plain awesome. And pretty much indestructable.
As long as the price for those goes down I am happy to order them online or maybe soon somewhere local.

As far as color printing goes, I would love to see a MCOR paper printer live...

roller
Posts:1622
Joined:Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:09 pm
Location:Brisbane, Australia

Re: resin vs filament?

Post by roller » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:45 pm

MCOR was ok ... I wasn't that impressed. I am not too worried about the dust from the powder printer as the CNC far outdoes it for mess.

Post Reply