Acetone cracks "ABS" and doesn't remove lines.

Anything related to 3D Printing...
ahntlia

Acetone cracks "ABS" and doesn't remove lines.

Post by ahntlia » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:16 am

Guys
I bought some sample filament from 3dprinterfilament.com
They offer good deals and here in Mexico everyone who resells plastic buys from them.
The thing here is that their "abs" doesn't work when you apply acetone.
Usually lines start vanishing and plastic turns out shiny.
This is not the case
Plastic cracks, lines are still there, and doesn't get a shiny smoother look.

Any hint?
I'm assuming the plastic is bad quality for this process, but it extrudes well and works perfect.
Has anyone here bought from
3dprinterfilament.com

mr6k

Re: Acetone cracks "ABS" and doesn't remove lines.

Post by mr6k » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:19 am

Sounds like its PLA, not ABS.
cheers

Peter

ahntlia

Post by ahntlia » Sat May 31, 2014 9:44 am

Not PLA I tried several PLA filaments and none of them can be printed by my upmini extruder starts clicking and filaments gets grinded. I have no idea of what could be wrong...

doraemon

Post by doraemon » Sat May 31, 2014 2:40 pm

PLA does not react with acetone. It sounds like the ABS you have is mixed with other materials, possibly regrind or other types of plastic. You can check for the former by a quick bend test of the filament. I've seen some cheap filament that would be flexible in stretches (could almost bend over on itself) and then snap easily in other stretches.

roller

Post by roller » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:36 pm

doraemon, a lot of PLAs are similarly mixed and will react with PLA by cracking. Even good PLA can degrade with acetone eventually. It's resistant to acetone but not impervious.

ahntlia, are you exposing your ABS to acetone vapour or dipping/painting it? You will find that excess exposure to acetone can instead result in producing cracking, crazing and dull finishes as well as sometimes dissolving away some of the pigment. The cheaper and lower grade filaments tend to be more prone to such degradation as others have mentioned.

doraemon

Post by doraemon » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:06 am

Hmm. I stand corrected then about PLA and acetone. I've not seen it react that way with the PLA used at work, but I admit it's not a very large sample size. Also, we had been trying to find a suitable solvent to use for welding PLA parts and tried the usual suspects, then gave up and asked a chemist friend for help.

roller

Post by roller » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:39 am

doraemon wrote:Hmm. I stand corrected then about PLA and acetone. I've not seen it react that way with the PLA used at work, but I admit it's not a very large sample size. Also, we had been trying to find a suitable solvent to use for welding PLA parts and tried the usual suspects, then gave up and asked a chemist friend for help.
Mostly you have to just let it soak to get PLA to do anything but some PLAs do react more quickly. There was a discussion of it in the reprap community some time ago ... I'll see if I can find the example. I just use cyanoacrylate (super glue) to join PLA but my PLA models that need gluing are generally not structural so just a few tack "welds" is enough for my purposes ... especially since they only have to hold together for a few weeks of exhibition.

doraemon

Post by doraemon » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:13 pm

Yeah, we ended up using CA for some cases, but some parts have to be kept clean for use with sensitive parts and CA is a no-no because it outgasses. Too bad there isn't a convenient way to solvent weld PLA, AFAIK.