what convinced you to buy an Up!

Anything related to 3D Printing...
mec949

what convinced you to buy an Up!

Post by mec949 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:51 pm

with many assorted 3D printers on the market, what (internally) convinced you to buy an Up?

We know that the up plus/2 has a quality that is difficult to beat in it's class, and is very easy to use with nice software.
But many would find it difficult to part with the cash unless they needed the printer for work. how did you internally justify the initial expense of the up, and are you happy with your decision?

I am trying to justify the expense, it may take a while because I want one but don't need one. :mrgreen:

Numonic

Re: what convinced you to buy an Up!

Post by Numonic » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:52 pm

At my job they were thinking of maybe making a 3d printing service and asked me to search for one, I proposed several including the Up plus and the Up mini and many others. They still haven't made up there minds on getting one. Fortunately for me I have done 3d printing on my own and just got one, lovely thing is I get to make what I want when I want and do it how I want absolute control. Works out really great why don't you just purchase one for yourself there not as expensive as a Mojo or higher end machine.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:58 am

You, know, I don't even remember exactly how I found Up. I had no experience with 3D printing at all. Probably a Google search took me to one of those big lists of all available machines (this was Spring of 2012, there were a lot fewer machines around!) I compared features and prices, liked the pp3dp website, and placed my order.

roller

Post by roller » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:21 am

Simple: Easily removed support. I have built and tuned so many repraps I've lost count and can get wonderful prints but the potential for the Up to print complex prints in a single material without obsessing over orientation was irresistible. If my print is under 140x140x140 it will almost certainly get printed on the Up. The only exceptions are when I need a print really fast or a ridiculous layer height (<100micron)

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:34 am

Thinking back, I remember that the custom, integrated software (versus open-source) was a big factor for me, along with the relatively turnkey operation. I didn't know anything about support removal so I just lucked out with my choice in that respect :)

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:23 am

Hi
I was trolling through Youtube and came across the "Impossible print" in which an Up!Plus was used to print a large working ball bearing assembly made in a single print. I was in awe, and must have watched it 10 times.
I was hooked, and had to get an Up! to be able to do the same.
Interestingly, I have never printed a large working ball bearing on my Up!
Regards
Lawrence

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:53 pm

What convinced me was the fact that I had a BFB rapman which needed a lot of tinkering and that, IMC the UP mini, seemed to do well without, apart from the bed not being level.
Youtube + price setting also got me conviced. One of my first prints was the "Impossible print". When that came out of the printer I was silent, poured a wiskey, lit a sigar and smiled the whole day and the days after.
I was no longer a 3D printer virgin and the BFB was soon forgotten.

In short, my assumption that the UP mini needed little to no tinkering became 95% reality for me. The fact that it was "ready for action" out of the box got me hooked.
Always breath out on the way UP

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:27 pm

I remember that "Impossible Print" video, too, but I think the one I saw was two circular racks with gear pinions between them. I never printed that, but the second thing I did print was the all-in-one ball bearing by Chyld and it worked perfectly.

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:54 pm

The impossible print v2 has just got over half a million hits on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak03wmi ... ata_player

I still find the first one a much better model.

Any ideas for the next one?
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:00 pm

wackojacko wrote:The impossible print v2 has just got over half a million hits on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak03wmi ... ata_player

I still find the first one a much better model.

Any ideas for the next one?
That's a pretty hilarious part. But please, make yourself one of these http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:131301 before you slice off a finger with that scraper!

=^_^=

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:17 pm

Thanks Julia, going to print one now.
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:34 pm

wackojacko wrote:Thanks Julia, going to print one now.
You're going to print a welded steel bench hook? The STL in the Thing on Thingiverse is a "dummy", just to overcome Thingiverse's requirement of at least one file that's not an image. The fixture itself should be metal for strength - welded or bent or bolted together.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:48 pm

Hi again
When I say I have not printed the big ball bearing, that wasn't strictly true. I have never printed it at full size, but I have printed numerous copies of it - reduced to both 10mm and 12mm inside diameter. I always carry a 10mm bearing and an M2.5 nut and bolt (a pic is on Bruce's website) in my wallet. I recall visiting an Expo earlier this year. Bruce showed a retired engineer a sample of the bearing at full size - about a 25mm inside diameter. The engineer handled it and noted the wide gaps between the balls. He said "Not impressed with that". I pulled out my 10mm bearing. He got a bit excited and said, "I am impressed by that". So naturally, I pulled out my M2.5 nut and bolt and handed it to him. Then he was really impressed.
As I have said before, big models are good to show, but in my experience its the very small detailed models that really stun people.
Regards
Lawrence

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:06 pm

M2.5 threads are impressive indeed!

mec949

Post by mec949 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:23 am

its not fair. you're not making it easy to resist buying one of these. do you ever find times (days or weeks) when you don't use it?

:mrgreen:

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:36 am

When I bought my first printer I had no idea what I was going to do with it. It's hardly been idle a day since, 18 months later.

mec949

Post by mec949 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:28 am

JuliaDee wrote:When I bought my first printer I had no idea what I was going to do with it. It's hardly been idle a day since, 18 months later.
I've had an idea for a game but have never been able to make the pieces for it. I know they could be made on a 3D printer, which is one of the reasons why I want one. but I'm a scrooge and don't easily spend money on what is essentially a toy

Would any of you say that you have saved money through having an Up at your disposal when making something would have cost way more if you did not use an Up or other 3d printer.

I thank everyone for their responses and anecdotes and advice.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:36 am

mec949 wrote:
JuliaDee wrote:When I bought my first printer I had no idea what I was going to do with it. It's hardly been idle a day since, 18 months later.
Would any of you say that you have saved money through having an Up at your disposal when making something would have cost way more if you did not use an Up or other 3d printer.
I'm an inventor / product developer/engineer. Having 3D printing in-house has added huge value to the services I offer clients, and played a key role in my being able to quickly develop a new transducer last year which is currently on the market and has become the flagship of the product line. Many other aspects of the project were accelerated by being able to turn out prototype housings and accessory parts for approvals and visualizations, and I saved my client thousands in outside prototyping fees at the same time. My printers have also been used in creation of R&D life testing machinery and production-line test fixtures currently in use in the factory in China. A couple of months ago I created and printed a quick "one-off" accessory part for the product for a user with a special need; unforeseen advantages of that part have since come to light and now it's going to be tooled for production to replace some existing components. I honestly can't remember how I got along without these machines. Well, ok, I can - I used to cobble stuff together with random bits and pieces from the hardware store and the hobby shop. If only I'd had this capability during my heyday in the toy industry 20 years ago...

Oh, and the industrial design firm who does all the "real" mechanical engineering for us bought a Replicator 2 about 4 months ago. They're still struggling to get anything useful out of it and they turn positively green when they come over to my place and see my Ups cranking out stuff :)

roller

Post by roller » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:50 am

I started printing to make models for my architecture studies but I use it to prototype before stuff hits the CNC, to make parts for projects I would have otherwise bought, to make up custom designs that I would never have considered due to cots and repaired devices that would have otherwise been thrown out. I do a lot of stuff for free (like making 3D printers) so I can't say it's saved me overall ... but if you look more broadly amongst my group of friends and acquaintances then it's saved a fortune.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:31 am

Hi again
... may I say that there is a great deal of satisfaction in designing specifically a part to fit in a project, then making the part, fitting it and see it working, instead of sourcing parts that don't quite fit then having to modify the project to make the part fit.
I do guarantee that you will waste a lot of time watching your printer "doing its magic" then lower its platform to present you with the finished part.
I may never make money from my 3D printers, being retired, I find it all a very relaxing hobby.
Regards
Lawrence