Replicator2

Anything related to 3D Printing...
JuliaDee

Re: Replicator2

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:21 am

goopyplastic wrote:If I wanted to go through the hassle of open source software chains etc.. I would probably look at the Makergear M2 8x10x8 build area, great support and quality machine... that is if you can stomach pronterface/slic3r ... shoddy support structures etc. which I would rather not.
I agree with you, but I think the Rep2 has a new integrated software suite like the Up's.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:45 am

If 3D printers really were simple, safe, reliable, and clean enough for the average consumer to use, the small/cheap/mass-market strategy would make sense. But the fact is that even if you succeed in making it cheap it's still a finicky, technical machine and a process that involves high temperatures, sharp tools, carcinogenic, highly flammable chemicals, and a constant rain of plastic crumbs everywhere. Your average consumer is not going to tolerate the feed slip problems, the nozzle clogs, the temperature errors, the random bad print, etc. that we put up with because we are tweakers. And the thing requires a fair amount of dedicated space as well - I've got a 5-foot workbench with a 3-hutch shelf dedicated to my Up! (which itself accounts for a very small portion of the space) and I really wouldn't want to be working in much less space than that.

IMO the market for the near and middle term is people like us, here on this forum. Geeks, professionals, and advanced hobbyists who want/need performance, reliability, features, quality, and flexibility, and are not necessarily looking for the cheapest machine.

I don't know when the technology will be mature enough for mass-market; it could be a long time if ever. It took 10-15 years for it to happen with personal computers, and they had word processing and then the internet as killer apps. I think the Cubify business model of a closed-system proprietary feedstock and pay-for-content is going to fail miserably; the target consumer for the technology is way too savvy for this kind of blatant mass-market approach, especially when piggybacked onto a mediocre piece of hardware.

Makerbot is making a strong play here and much more on-target than either the Cube or the Up! Mini imho, if, of course, the machine and its software fulfill their promise.

I'd lay out the $$ right now for a dual-extrusion, large build-area machine from pp3dp incorporating some of the software improvements we've requested here on this forum, but I have no interest in a machine with lower performance than the Up! Start Plus.

julia
William wrote:I think cheap and small is a good first step for an enclosed printer. It's cheap enough that it's almost an impulse buy for the first time enthusiast. It allows them to work out the kinks on a much less expensive platform. They can rev it several times, without the original purchasers feeling cheated. Then, once they've worked out all the kinks, they can always go for a larger format, at a higher price.

I'm still not sure if pp3dp makes money off consumables, or the printers themselves in the long run. If it's printers, then it has to be about volume, of fairly low priced machines. If it's consumables... well, pretty much the same thing. Get as many automated glue guns out into the world as possible, and sell that plastic like crazy.

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:16 pm

I'm saving my money for this guy :D It doesnt have a large print area like the makerbot, its width is between the up and the mini, but its slightly taller. Print resolution should be AWESOME though. I've wanted to make a resin printer for a long time. http://formlabs.com

juancr

Post by juancr » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:50 pm

Amazing printer, but I was surprised by these words: "Long shelf life when not exposed to light" (http://formlabs.com/pages/material)
What does this mean? you shouldn't expose prats under sun?
Regards,
JuanCR
(You should know I do my best with my written english ;-) )

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:12 pm

I suspect they mean the resin in liquid form will harden over time. Especially when exposed to light, which is what its designed to do.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

juancr

Post by juancr » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:22 pm

wilsonj wrote:I suspect they mean the resin in liquid form will harden over time. Especially when exposed to light, which is what its designed to do.
:oops: :oops: just what I understood :lol:
Thanks wilsonj!!
Regards,
JuanCR
(You should know I do my best with my written english ;-) )

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:11 am

teamcarlisle wrote:I'm saving my money for this guy :D It doesnt have a large print area like the makerbot, its width is between the up and the mini, but its slightly taller. Print resolution should be AWESOME though. I've wanted to make a resin printer for a long time. http://formlabs.com
Oh, man, did you have to post that? My credit card is waving at me, trying to get my attention...

Minestorm

Post by Minestorm » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:02 am

They've put up a photo of the upcoming rep2x -

http://store.makerbot.com/replicator2x.html

eyUP

Post by eyUP » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:32 am

JuliaDee wrote:
goopyplastic wrote:If I wanted to go through the hassle of open source software chains etc.. I would probably look at the Makergear M2 8x10x8 build area, great support and quality machine... that is if you can stomach pronterface/slic3r ... shoddy support structures etc. which I would rather not.
I agree with you, but I think the Rep2 has a new integrated software suite like the Up's.
When I have used anything based on Skeinforge or open-source slicing s/w the processing times were huge compared to the UP! software - I'm talking 15/20 minutes to slice a model with a decent number of faces.
A number of times I just gave up waiting and printed something simpler.
Calculation time for me is a big issue when you're trying to demonstrate the printer.
I'd be interested to know how quickly the Rep2 calculates the slices and support...?

Minestorm

Post by Minestorm » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:46 am

They have a new slicer - Miracle Grue - which is 20x faster than Skeinforge.

You can download the software here

eyUP

Post by eyUP » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:23 am

Minestorm wrote:They have a new slicer - Miracle Grue - which is 20x faster than Skeinforge.

Must admit that looks cool...far nicer than I've seen before

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:53 pm

Minestorm wrote:They have a new slicer - Miracle Grue - which is 20x faster than Skeinforge.

I tried the new Makerbot software when it was first posted to their website.

There's no question that it's much easier to use now. The slicing is still a lot slower than Up, though, despite the performance improvements from the last version.

My take is that the performance for the MB software has gone from crazy-slow to marginally acceptable. From a design an usability perspective they've gone from okay to ahead of the pack.

Delta Micro Factory really needs to spend a few bucks on graphic design and usability testing for their software. In terms of performance and output they're still the best I've seen (for hobbyist-class), but the user interface looks like it was cryogenically frozen in 1993.

Minestorm

Post by Minestorm » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:47 pm

You have to show us your prints!!
Got it yesterday and have been printing the demo's from the SD card (in some different coloured PLA)

The quality and speed is VERY good
Attachments
Rep2_c.jpg
Demo_3
Rep2_c.jpg (179.83 KiB) Viewed 12791 times
Rep2_b.jpg
Demo_2
Rep2_b.jpg (223.84 KiB) Viewed 12791 times
Rep2_a.jpg
Demo_1
Rep2_a.jpg (253.13 KiB) Viewed 12791 times

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:36 pm

Let's see it do some complex models with over hangs that require support material.

www.3DPrintingSystems.com
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

goopyplastic

Post by goopyplastic » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:32 pm

I would be interested in seeing the support material generation and removal also, they tout it as a feature but I haven't seen much about it...

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:44 am

I've been dieing to know about the replicators support generation as well, and how well it works/how well it compares to the up! I've been trying to find out more about it through google, but no one is really saying anything about it that I can find

Blown454

Post by Blown454 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:23 am

Being someone above mentioned the Form1, well I bought one through the KS campaign. I won't take delivery til March (a bit of a wait), but I hope to have some cool pics and videos when I get it. Til then, I will enjoy my new Up! (well actually it's an Afinia), and I just love the darn thing! I have been through the while RepRap thing, and nothing compares to this little printer, I hope the Rep2 is on the right path, but time and videos will show. I doubt they can compete with the slicing/support material (as with the Up!/ Afinia) as I have heard they are using an open source slicer underneath the gui, so it'll probably behave the same as most other Repraps. Time will show that, let's see some videos with some support material, I second and third that request! :)

Minestorm

Post by Minestorm » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:43 pm

The resolution on this thing is unbelievable. I can't see any layers on the fine setting.

nz_andy

Post by nz_andy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:40 pm

JuliaDee wrote:If 3D printers really were simple, safe, reliable, and clean enough for the average consumer to use, the small/cheap/mass-market strategy would make sense. But the fact is that even if you succeed in making it cheap it's still a finicky, technical machine and a process that involves high temperatures, sharp tools, carcinogenic, highly flammable chemicals, and a constant rain of plastic crumbs everywhere
That’s funny :lol: but true also, I just ran over 160 parts over a few days and I have plastic bits everywhere and had to clean up about 5 times. Almost seems like there is more scrap on the floor than goes in.

nz_andy

Post by nz_andy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:49 pm

juancr wrote:Amazing printer, but I was surprised by these words: "Long shelf life when not exposed to light" (http://formlabs.com/pages/material)
What does this mean? you shouldn't expose parts under sun?
Regarding formlabs, I'm watching this with interest also. but this part does put me off, and it's not just the resin. After having SLA parts made over many years I know that many of the materials do degrade in sunlight.

Seems like we are looking for the same things here, SLA type quality, but we want end use parts with easy to use intuitive software.
I wonder how long it will take before we get a combination of both, something like a UP process mixed with the object type, so extrude a layer >spray a layer > extrude a layer etc.. so the part is solid watertight and strong.