WANTED: Motorized filament feeder

Anything you like to buy, sell, offer, or hire from the fellow Uppers?
ftdesigns

WANTED: Motorized filament feeder

Post by ftdesigns » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:52 pm

I would like to get the old filament feeder mechanism for the Up! shown in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8wBdU88V1w

Please PM me if you are interested in selling yours.

OR

If you know where I can get spare parts to make one, please let me know as all I can find is this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3968

Thank you!

josejuako

Re: WANTED: Motorized filament feeder

Post by josejuako » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:27 pm

Is a nice mechanical , but I don't sell , I like it

Jose

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:12 am

$68 from Brian Quan / Up3dUSA:

http://www.up3dusa.com/#!shop/ch1c

Also a "v2.0" version I've never seen, for $99...

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:44 am

I have a brand new one never used, my first one broke down in the motor drive train (bad design, too much stress/side load for the usage) so the company sent me a replacement and I determined that the extruder stepper motor has enough torque to pull a full 2 pound spool 4 feet up off the floor and then bend the feeder tube mount off the side of the printer before my son noticed it and hit the off switch.
So in closing, if you want it for its original intended usage on the printer it really is not needed, the company even stopped including it long ago in the design they sell.
Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

ftdesigns

Post by ftdesigns » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:21 pm

Thanks for the help guys! Didn't realize the American Up! seller is still selling them.

Drew, if you want me to take it off your hands for you, send me a PM with a price.

Cheers!

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:18 pm

DrewPetitclerc wrote:...I determined that the extruder stepper motor has enough torque to pull a full 2 pound spool 4 feet up off the floor and then bend the feeder tube mount off the side of the printer before my son noticed it and hit the off switch.
So in closing, if you want it for its original intended usage on the printer it really is not needed...
I can see how a power feed assist could be very useful for soft, stretchy elastomeric filaments like Ninjaflex or 3dprintingsystems.com's. Even a relatively light pull force off the spool can result in filament stretch and feed irregularities with these materials. Given my (ahem) rubber fetish, maybe I should pick up a couple of these while supplies last...

julia

ftdesigns

Post by ftdesigns » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:43 am

JuliaDee wrote:I can see how a power feed assist could be very useful for soft, stretchy elastomeric filaments like Ninjaflex or 3dprintingsystems.com's.
- yes, i'm trying to print with pva
Given my (ahem) rubber fetish
- that's just weird :lol:

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:05 am

Not really; the project I'm working on has a lot of applications for elastomeric filaments, it's just the nature of the product line. I wish they'd been available a year or so ago, but better late than never. I printed a whole bunch of parts in Ninjaflex last week - would have taken 2-3 weeks and $6,000+ if we'd had to send them out for SLA's and urethane castings.

ktronik

Post by ktronik » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:06 am

Q for the techs, is it just a stepper motor?? I am trying to find out how much current the filament feeder pulled, if its just a normal stepper motor, like the extruder, if so, I will just test that one...

thx

Kerry

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:29 am

the filament feeder, mounted above the filament reel is just a stepper motor sense switch and a microprocessor to determine a fixed number of feeding steps. As filament is pulled by the extruder motor a slight tension at the filament feeder activate a switch which causes the filament feeder stepper to pull a few inches of filament up through the feeder. This gives zero tension for a while to the extruder pulling.

two things to note.
one. At the point when the filament feeder switch, a microswitch, is being engaged , there is some tension of the filament between the feeder and extruder, whether this is greater than the tension directly to a reel in later designs that do not use the filament feeder I am not sure.

two. very early filament feeder designs were based, i believe on a dc rather than stepper motor, and some early threads on this forum make reference to this.

cheers

Peter

ktronik

Post by ktronik » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:46 am

mr6k wrote:the filament feeder, mounted above the filament reel is just a stepper motor sense switch and a microprocessor to determine a fixed number of feeding steps. As filament is pulled by the extruder motor a slight tension at the filament feeder activate a switch which causes the filament feeder stepper to pull a few inches of filament up through the feeder. This gives zero tension for a while to the extruder pulling.

two things to note.
one. At the point when the filament feeder switch, a microswitch, is being engaged , there is some tension of the filament between the feeder and extruder, whether this is greater than the tension directly to a reel in later designs that do not use the filament feeder I am not sure.

two. very early filament feeder designs were based, i believe on a dc rather than stepper motor, and some early threads on this forum make reference to this.

cheers

Peter
thanks for the answers Peter, will help me guestmate the current used...

I want to tap the power of DC socket that for the feeder...if I can work out what it was use to, IE the stepper, then I can work out, what power I can pull from it, without getting anything toasty...I want to put a 12v 150mA DC fan on the DC socket...pretty sure it will be fine...as I will also be using a 12v switch mode reg, as well, so current drain will be a little less...or should I use a 12v linear reg, just to be safe with respect to, what type of 'on board' regulation sits inside the UP...should be rare that this would happen, but anyway....thoughts??

K