Looking for parts

Anything you like to buy, sell, offer, or hire from the fellow Uppers?
Kastro

Looking for parts

Post by Kastro » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:49 am

Hi there all,
Birthday tuesday and i was given an UP! Plus as a gift, there was just one catch, it was my friends, he used it once and then it sat there..
Id say he seen me oogling over it a few times and gave it to the for the birthday!

Anyways, he couldnt find any of the power or data cables.
And the feeder arm for the ABS is broken beside the microswitch.

Anyone know where I might get the cables, Im sure the broken parts can be printed / replicated?

Im based in Ireland.

Thanks all :)

JuliaDee

Re: Looking for parts

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:11 am

Your friend used it only once, yet felt compelled to dismantle it to the extent that the data cables are lost? :shock:

Which "data cables", exactly? Ribbon cables are pretty easy to make - buy insulation displacement connectors (IDC) and ribbon cable; strip the ribbon to the right number of conductors, cut to length, align carefully with the IDC prongs, make sure the cable is at 90 degrees to the connector, squeeze the connector, the cable, and the connector cover all together in a vise to force the conductors into the prongs and latch the whole thing.

The filament feeder thing out near the spool was discontinued long ago, it's really not necessary.

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:34 am

JuliaDee wrote:
Which "data cables", exactly? Ribbon cables are pretty easy to make - buy insulation displacement connectors (IDC) and ribbon cable; strip the ribbon to the right number of conductors, cut to length, align carefully with the IDC prongs, make sure the cable is at 90 degrees to the connector, squeeze the connector, the cable, and the connector cover all together in a vise to force the conductors into the prongs and latch the whole thing.
Sounds like you have done it before, maybe you can make him what he needs for the right price??

doraemon

Post by doraemon » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:20 am

I'm going to guess "data cables" refers to the USB cable that connects to the PC. I can see someone removing it and using it elsewhere, then forgetting to replace it.

If the ribbon cables on the printer have been removed ... that would be indeed odd, since I can't see them being used in too many other places around the house.

Neal

Post by Neal » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:58 pm

Octave sells the power supply at: http://www.octave.com/3D-Printers-&-Acc ... index.html

The name plate on mine reads 100 - 240 volt input 50 - 60 Hz, so you should be able to use it in Ireland with a different power cord.

You could try sourcing it locally, it is made by HP. It reads "HP Part NO. 397749-001, Replace with HP Spare 397804-001"

Kastro

Post by Kastro » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:10 pm

printer ribbon cables are intact.. i ment the pc to printer cable (usb)
as for the damaged piece, im refering to the filament feeder installed in the Z axis arm with the microswitch.
Ill have a look at the link.. thanks :)

doraemon

Post by doraemon » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:17 am

The USB cables are easy enough. Any mini to full size USB cable will work, something like this from Monoprice should be fine. As you're in Ireland, I imagine your local PC shop would have a ready supply of these.

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:30 am

Kastro,

The stepper motor type filament guide is not needed, it was replaced by a passive guide some time ago. So long as the reel of filament is free to rotate then the extruder motor has more than enough pull to feed the filament.

Soooo, you could do the following. On your existing filament guide remove the screw at the top rear. Slide off the cover. Unplug the motor leads, at front of guide remove small screw just to the left of the motor shaft, remove complete with bearing. then unscrew the two screws to the right at front, then remove the stepper motor.

Now fit this "passive" extruder back on the printer and just feed the filament though both holes.

Orrrr, You could download from Thingiverse a third party design and print it, Julidee's feeder (thing_26710).htm) is a good version as it incorporates a void into which you can put some open cell foam. Feeding the filament through this removes dust and other loose particles from the filament, before they become "stuck" in the extruder.

cheers

Peter

Kastro

Post by Kastro » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:19 am

Cant print anything because ive no power leads.. but im looking into some 19v leads.
I just noticed the usb port, I was looking at the 4pin port beside the power port on the back of the unit.. whats that for so?
Usb is no problem, just need to get the power lead sorted, given its 19v, i think ive a spare laptop powerpack here somewhere thats 19v, so that should work out nicely..
Attached is a picture of where the filament guide is broken, but if theres enough pull to draw the filament without the need of the motor i might just remove it and glue the guide tube to the side where the filament guide is/was.

Kastro

Post by Kastro » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:25 am

IMG_6490.jpg
broken filament guide
IMG_6490.jpg (168.59 KiB) Viewed 12926 times

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:58 am

You don't need that thing. Do something like this, or the one you can download from the pp3dp website in the "parts" file:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:26710

The only things you need plugged into the rear panel are power and USB. There are two power jacks, make sure you plug into the correct one (I think it's the one closer to the edge of the printer, but I'm working from memory).
IMG_3735.JPG
IMG_3735.JPG (124.68 KiB) Viewed 12926 times

Kastro

Post by Kastro » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:14 pm

can anyone tell me the voltage of the power supply?
Ive just been handed (by the previous owner) a liteon power supply, 20v output, 4 pin cable that fits the round slot in the back of the printer.. i would imagine thats the right one for there, but there is still the small adapter power supply hole on the other side of the printer (ill take pictures later, im not at home atm) what volt is that? hes handed me 2 adapters, one for the feeder and one for the base?

sorry for not knowing whats what, ill get some pictures up later..
just needing to clarify things are the right regarding volts so i dont blow the boards.