Bulldoggg

Share projects and models that you like, and wow the fellow Uppers!
Tiertime-Edward
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:15 am

Bulldoggg

Post by Tiertime-Edward » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:53 am

This is a bulldog, which i have downloaded for a long long time. I cannot remember who created it and whom to give credit to. But it is really a mighty dog, so beautiful, and i have to admit that it is printed veryyyy fine. So i put it here and share it with everyone.

Image
Image

sampler40
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:41 pm

Re: Bulldoggg

Post by sampler40 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:59 am

Did you do any cleanup on this beyond just very carefully removing the supports after printing ?

If this is the style of print the UP! can do with a good model, its fun times for everyone whos ordered one!

Cheers

Sampler

Whystler
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:24 am

Re: Bulldoggg

Post by Whystler » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:06 am

Just my four cents ...

The quality of that bulldog model is exactly what I would expect from my UP! printer having used it for a few weeks now. That is, after supports are removed, but with no other post processing.

-Whystler

Tiertime-Edward
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:15 am

Re: Bulldoggg

Post by Tiertime-Edward » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:22 am

Hello,

Have a look of the bulldog with support structure. Then you will get to know there is no other post processing. But there is some problem against this STL, the neck on the dog is broken. So I choose UNSOLID before printing and the problem is solved.

Image

Edward

TeamTeamUSA
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:26 pm
Location: E-Rock (Eagle Rock, L.A.)

Re: Bulldoggg

Post by TeamTeamUSA » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:21 am

Edward wrote:This is a bulldog, which i have downloaded for a long long time. I cannot remember who created it and whom to give credit to. But it is really a mighty dog, so beautiful, and i have to admit that it is printed veryyyy fine. So i put it here and share it with everyone.

Image
Image
That is sick!!! :o

Please post the STL on Thingiverse so we can all print it. I want to make a Cerberus with red LED eyes! :twisted:

Go!

=ml=
¡Fabricado no TeamTeamUSA!
movin' \ shakin' \ troublemakin'

Tiertime-Edward
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:15 am

Re: Bulldoggg

Post by Tiertime-Edward » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:51 am

Hi ml,

I was interested in putting it on thingiverse. But it is not we designed, and we forgot who is its owner. So i am sorry. :cry:

Edward

TeamTeamUSA
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:26 pm
Location: E-Rock (Eagle Rock, L.A.)

Re: Bulldoggg

Post by TeamTeamUSA » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:24 pm

Edward wrote:Hi ml,

I was interested in putting it on thingiverse. But it is not we designed, and we forgot who is its owner. So i am sorry. :cry:

Edward
I found it as a free 3ds file: http://artist-3d.com/free_3d_models/dnm ... p?uid=2106

Artist: mjj-x
Submission date: 2009-10-19 18:41:30
Email: mjj-x@yahoo.in
License: CC BY-NC-SA http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0

This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work non-commercially, as long as they credit you and license their new creations under the identical terms. Others can download and redistribute your work just like the by-nc-nd license, but they can also translate, make remixes, and produce new stories based on your work. All new work based on yours will carry the same license, so any derivatives will also be non-commercial in nature.

So if you have it as a STL file, you can upload it to Thingiverse, give mjj-x credit for creating it, and license it under BY-NC-SA with no problems.

Go!

=ml=
¡Fabricado no TeamTeamUSA!
movin' \ shakin' \ troublemakin'

TeamTeamUSA
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:26 pm
Location: E-Rock (Eagle Rock, L.A.)

Re: Bulldoggg

Post by TeamTeamUSA » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:36 pm

TeamTeamUSA wrote:
Edward wrote:Hi ml,

I was interested in putting it on thingiverse. But it is not we designed, and we forgot who is its owner. So i am sorry. :cry:

Edward
I found it as a free 3ds file: http://artist-3d.com/free_3d_models/dnm ... p?uid=2106

Artist: mjj-x
Submission date: 2009-10-19 18:41:30
Email: mjj-x@yahoo.in
License: CC BY-NC-SA http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0

This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work non-commercially, as long as they credit you and license their new creations under the identical terms. Others can download and redistribute your work just like the by-nc-nd license, but they can also translate, make remixes, and produce new stories based on your work. All new work based on yours will carry the same license, so any derivatives will also be non-commercial in nature.

So if you have it as a STL file, you can upload it to Thingiverse, give mjj-x credit for creating it, and license it under BY-NC-SA with no problems.

Go!

=ml=
A thought: you could probably get the same quality print with considerably less support material used if you printed the dog on its side.

Go!

=ml=
¡Fabricado no TeamTeamUSA!
movin' \ shakin' \ troublemakin'

Tiertime-Edward
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:15 am

Re: Bulldoggg

Post by Tiertime-Edward » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:58 am

Hello ml,

Thanks very much. So now I i can upload it to thingiverse as long as i give credit to him and license their new creations under the identical terms. Cool!
TeamTeamUSA wrote:
A thought: you could probably get the same quality print with considerably less support material used if you printed the dog on its side.

Go!

=ml=
Yeah, print the dog on its side you will get less support material, and the dog's legs will hold more strength. But print the dog on its side, maybe the surface detail on the support side will not good as now it is.

Edward

quarksurfer
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:48 am

Re: Bulldoggg

Post by quarksurfer » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:40 am

wow! thanks for sharing, what a good print.
what is the size of the dog: height and length?
how much plastic was used in grams?
how long (time) did the print take?
what was the resolution set at?
Just curious to understand the printer more. :D

Tiertime-Edward
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:15 am

Re: Bulldoggg

Post by Tiertime-Edward » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:40 am

Hello quarksurfer,

Its height is 103mm, and length is 117mm. I have scaled it by 0.2 times, so the original file is very big,

Layer thickness i selected 0.25 mm. You will highly praise the fineness it is printed if you see the actual model. Inner filling density I chose LOOSE, actually i don't choose SOLID except printing functional parts. It helps me save many time. Then the other parameters are default. It totally uses 70.1g plastic and takes me 2 hours and 57 minutes to print.

Hope this helps you know more about UP! printer.

Regards.
Edward

-soapy-
Posts: 315
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:24 pm

Re: Bulldoggg

Post by -soapy- » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:37 pm

An excellent find! And if anyone uploads it as an STL, please add the link, as I don't have MAYA. Thanks.

cyberbadger
Posts: 125
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:26 am

Re: Bulldoggg

Post by cyberbadger » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:31 am

-soapy-,

AccuTrans3D is free, and it can save between different formats - as well as fix broken models, and various other manipulation work.

I don't have my bulldog STL - but AccuTrans3D can do it for you easily.

http://www.micromouse.ca/downloads.html

-cyberbadger

Tiertime-Edward
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:15 am

Re: Bulldoggg

Post by Tiertime-Edward » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:53 am

Hi, here is the link to Bull Dog, http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4136

rwijbenga
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Bulldoggg

Post by rwijbenga » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:12 am

:shock: Looks realy super good !!

Can't wait for my UP!..

-soapy-
Posts: 315
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:24 pm

Re: Bulldoggg

Post by -soapy- » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:23 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I worked out that nettfab will import and export those files, so I already rescaled and printed it. However, I noticed after printing that there are a few weird errors in it, so I'm going to look at the thingverse link and see if that also has the odd "hole through the head" effect.

TeamTeamUSA
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:26 pm
Location: E-Rock (Eagle Rock, L.A.)

Re: Bulldoggg

Post by TeamTeamUSA » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:28 am

-soapy- wrote:Thanks for the suggestions guys. I worked out that nettfab will import and export those files, so I already rescaled and printed it. However, I noticed after printing that there are a few weird errors in it, so I'm going to look at the thingverse link and see if that also has the odd "hole through the head" effect.
You need to print with "UnSolid Model" selected; that will merge the STL and remove the "hole through the head" issue.

Go!

=ml=
¡Fabricado no TeamTeamUSA!
movin' \ shakin' \ troublemakin'

-soapy-
Posts: 315
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:24 pm

Re: Bulldoggg

Post by -soapy- » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:11 pm

Thanks for the tip.

I looked at the STL in netfabb and found that it is in fact in 3 parts (3 shells) and the head is two, and the rest is another. The head is made of 2 shells, one is the lower jaw, the other is the rest of the head. The "rest of the head" shell has a lot of issues in it, for some reason.

I'll try it as unsolid next time I have something a bit weird in the STL. For this one, I'll patch it myself. I've an idea that I can simply hit "Extrude" then simply manually pump ABS into the void. I'll let you all know how that works out.

Grok
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:13 am

Re: Bulldoggg

Post by Grok » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:59 pm

This is my attempt....
PC110384r.jpg
PC110384r.jpg (193.12 KiB) Viewed 17755 times
PC110391r.jpg
PC110391r.jpg (187.87 KiB) Viewed 17755 times
I printed in normal, here are the rest of my settings.
settings.jpg
settings.jpg (48.27 KiB) Viewed 17755 times
I'm pleased with the results, only took a wee bit over an hour to make.

-soapy-
Posts: 315
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:24 pm

Re: Bulldoggg

Post by -soapy- » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:38 am

Ah! Your picture, compared to my picture, is very, very different!

It seems that netfabb doesn't import and handle the 3DS file properly!!

This is how the 3DS file imports into netfabb. And then I repaired it, saved it as an STL (minus the ground plain) and printed it, and got what you see here, except with a hole through it's head.
nettfab bad dog.jpg
nettfab bad dog.jpg (41.32 KiB) Viewed 17746 times
However, if you look at the model, the head shells have been shifted backwards, and the stump of the neck is visible. So what I got looks very weird. :lol:

I shall try getting the STL from Thingiverse and do a comparison.

Post Reply