Hybrid Petrol/Electric bicycle generator.

Share projects and models that you like, and wow the fellow Uppers!
cj7hawk

Hybrid Petrol/Electric bicycle generator.

Post by cj7hawk » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:09 am

Hi All,

I guess news of this one is getting around, so thought I'd introduce it to my home community. Entirely printed on an UP Mini, this hybrid petrol-electric bicycle actually gets me in to work daily. A lot of challenges making ABS parts strong enough to work reliably within the internals of a generator rotating at 6000rpm, while taking structural loads exceeding 1kW in transmission.

It's all printed in straight ABS plastic, even the high-strength parts, and the mounts for the engine are printed in ABS too -

It's recently been covered on 3Der's
http://www.3ders.org/articles/20150821- ... inter.html

And 3Dprinters
http://www.3d-printers.com.au/2015/08/2 ... d-printer/

And is actually the first functional Series-hybrid petrol/electric bicycle in the world - Something I couldn't have finished with the UP Mini.

Although I didn't originally intend to make the entire thing on the printer, it became a challenge to make all of the parts out of ABS. As a result, although I had to redesign the parts several times, it was ultimately possible and the entire thing ( and replacement parts ) can be printed. This means I can rebuild torque transfer plates on the printer in a couple of hours and replace it with an oil change every hundred hours.

The main challenge was keeping the temperature of the operating parts below the temperature where ABS softens as ABS loses structural integrity under stress then, but so far it's all seeming to work OK. It's still under test, but thought I'd share it as it does show how strong ABS components can be built.

Well, I hope you like it :) In the image, the parts in red and cyan are electronics. Everything else is 3D printed and bolts straight to the petrol motor that drives it.

Regards
David

Woodlake

Re: Hybrid Petrol/Electric bicycle generator.

Post by Woodlake » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:27 am

Thats fantastic work David - well done!
Good to see another West Aussie here too :)

Would love to hear any of the tips or advice you have picked up for printing on the Up Mini.

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:50 am

I saw the news posts, awesome! Thanks for posting info here and godspeed :D

Tiertime-Joseph

Post by Tiertime-Joseph » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:26 pm

David,

Thank you very much for the excellent model and the news post.

Joseph

roller

Post by roller » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:52 am

It's funny because a friend of mine and I have been working on exactly the same idea. I can only assume I was on the same wavelength because I'm originally a West Aussie too :p
If there is any part you think needs to be made in metal instead let me know and I'll see if I can get it CNCed for you. I'd love to have my bike setup this way. I'm also quite keen to confound the police when they find it's a legal electric bike :)

Now if we can just get a home-brew kit like this going to top up a Nissan Leaf :)