Stratocaster/Les Paul Hybrid Guitar

Share projects and models that you like, and wow the fellow Uppers!
hacksaw

Stratocaster/Les Paul Hybrid Guitar

Post by hacksaw » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:56 am

Hello all

So after 16 hours cutting the drawing up i found on thingie verse, almost 2kg of plastic, 73 hours of printing on a UP! mini, a phone call to my mate with a cnc machine and 3 to 4 days of assembly time....

I made this!
http://www.thingiverse.com/make:96361

More images on
http://imgur.com/a/au9TO

So I thought I might write a little bit more about how I did it some of the issues I had, I can sort of kind of not really play guitar and I stumbled across this awesome cad drawing on thingie verse, so I decidedm hey why not give it a go with what I had, an UP mini and 2kg of black plastic, I started off by importing the drawing in to skechup and mapping out how I could split it up but still somewhat keep the structural strength that the guitar would require, after cutting it in to pieces I added lego like lugs between all the pieces to add a little bit more strength after it was assembled in case my skills in the gluing department were a touch lacking, I also made sure the neck I had would fit snug and the holes were in the correct spot.

I managed to find a donor guitar on Gumtree for $35 which had all everything I needed, I used a mixture of ZAP adhesive and the rafts melted with acetone to glue it all together, I printed all pieces at .2 with the 2nd highest fill setting and only had two that failed because flexing issues, I started assembly when I had about 50% of the bits printed, I was quite surprised that there was minimal sanding and trimming required for assembly.

Once it was all assembled I noticed that it had a bit more flex then what I would have liked considering that I would have 35-45kg of force put on it from the strings, so I sourced some 2 mil stainless plate to bolt to the back to add a bit of strength little did i realise how much of a prick it was to drill stainless..... 3 hours later i had all the holes drilled and the plate installed (word of advice cobolt drill bits and trefolex is a must) after the stainless was bolted on there is little to no flex.

So final assembly, after putting every thing together I found out the scratch plate that was meant to fit was about 6 mm too short and the local music store had no blanks or any thing that would fit, I contacted one of our customers who is a local plastic reseller and he drew up and cut out a custom scratch plate for me which looks amazing I must say (thanks http://www.aeroplastics.com.au/) so I threw some strings on it tuned that bad boy up looks and sounds amazing, it has a slight tinny sound but you only notice it because you’re listening for it, ill post up a video soon when I get time.

I’m super stoked with the finished result I put a lot of time and effort in to it and I’m really happy with the finished product!

woofy

Re: Stratocaster/Les Paul Hybrid Guitar

Post by woofy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:15 pm

Wow!
I wish this forum had a "like" button.
Very nicely done Adrian.
:)
UP plus, Ultimaker2 & Raise N2+ Printers.

ming

Post by ming » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:05 am

Totally awesome
Dream@night / Holdit@sameday

hacksaw

Post by hacksaw » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:37 am

thanks guys there was alot of hard work involved in making this, ive also got a clean version of the cad to i can make another one with a bit more customization to it im currently attempting to teach my self how to use a more powerful design program