Queen B - Makerbot & NASA Mars Base Challenge

Share projects and models that you like, and wow the fellow Uppers!
NoahHornberger

Queen B - Makerbot & NASA Mars Base Challenge

Post by NoahHornberger » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:33 pm

Hi, I'm Noah from Michigan and I'm new here. In Michigan an upper is someone who lives in the upper peninsula, so i'm just a lower upper, not an upper upper.

I had my up plus almost 2 months now. It's my first 3D printer. I just designed and printed my entry for the MakerBot / NASA Jet Labs Mars Base design challenge.

I used standard ABS Octave filaments with the Octave temp mod, with ABS / acetone slurry on borofloat glass. I found that printing with ABS slurry and a raft (with door mostly closed) was a surefire way to pretty much end the warping problem.

The depleted uranium roofing!
For more pictures of my Mars Base concept model, and to download it for yourself, check out my page on thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:360924. Also if you want to show some support by hearting or commenting on my thingiverse design that would be really great. happy printing!
Noah

Toejamfloyd

Re: Queen B - Makerbot & NASA Mars Base Challenge

Post by Toejamfloyd » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:12 pm

Congratulations on your winning the competition! Very well designed :)

May I ask how you produced your ABS/acetate slurry? Obviously, warping is a huge issue, and I've actually looked into the Octave temp mod, but haven't decided to go that route yet.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!