Should I bother trying this?

Share projects and models that you like, and wow the fellow Uppers!
Chris botha

Should I bother trying this?

Post by Chris botha » Tue May 20, 2014 10:37 am

Hey Folks..

I made a gold Ouroborus some time back and Im keen to print a necklace version, say 250-300% bigger than the one at this link

http://digital-jeweller.blogspot.com.au ... oubus.html

should I bother or do you think the detail at 0.15mm will be too low... bear in mind ill be scaling upwards 250% or so and printing in 4 parts, to assemble after.. but this STL is HEAVY.. very HEAVY so i dont want to walk this path if its obviously going to be crappy..

original print below was at 16 micron on a DWS.

mb20music

Re: Should I bother trying this?

Post by mb20music » Tue May 20, 2014 6:30 pm

Why not give it a go and find out, you can always stop the print if you aren't happy with how it is turning out.

Chris botha

Post by Chris botha » Tue May 20, 2014 10:00 pm

I tried a print a part with a bit more gumption to it... it failed quit badly, and that was using OEM filament too.. everything that faces downward has a really bad finish on it, unsalvageably bad.. :(.. oh well back to lego men and rudimentary box shape stuff.. A mate is going to print this bangle on his makerbot for me, he reckons he can do it, ill post result if he succeeds. I dont think trying this level of detail in the ouroborus on the UP has any point.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:336811

roller

Post by roller » Wed May 21, 2014 12:04 am

Obviously you'll only have a tenth on the resolution of you sample there at 0.15mm but if scaling it up you may find the resultant texture interesting. I would print one part of it to see how you like the finish ... also consider an acetone vapour bath at the end to see what it's like smoothed.

Chris botha

Post by Chris botha » Wed May 21, 2014 6:23 am

i have a few rolls of new ABS on the way to me.. i have this on hold as im almsot out of OEM stuff, and screwed if going to be raped for more.. the new stuff seesm ok, the guy freely gives you best setting and temps for it etc.. so lets see..

the winbo stuff is odd.. black prints ok at 30 degrees colder, but the orang eand blue need 40 degrees coler and the white only 20 etc etc.. too hard basket..

roller

Post by roller » Sat May 24, 2014 3:37 pm

That's normal - the pigments affect the melting point. Presumably the more sophisticated filament from the big printer companies modify their plastic formulas for the different colours or can pigment in a way that causes less melt temp variation. Did you try 3dPrintergear for filament yet?

Chris botha

Post by Chris botha » Sun May 25, 2014 8:59 am

roller wrote:That's normal - the pigments affect the melting point. Presumably the more sophisticated filament from the big printer companies modify their plastic formulas for the different colours or can pigment in a way that causes less melt temp variation. Did you try 3dPrintergear for filament yet?
Nope got soem off ebay.. and boy.. disappointed.. really really bad, ful of lumps and it snaps after you extrude it etc.. will ask my wife to send me the the link so I can warn other users not to buy from this person..

roller

Post by roller » Mon May 26, 2014 11:04 am

Most of us that need to do a lot of quality printing avoid eBay filament for just that reason. I can live with the lower quality print sometimes from an inconsistent filament or low grade plastic but the junk inside some of these filaments that clogs nozzles really drives me nuts. Plus, such sellers often change their suppliers from one batch to the next so we have to continually waste time and effort finding the ideal print settings - I have to do it for 4 different printers. It's just not worth it.

Chris botha

Post by Chris botha » Tue May 27, 2014 2:01 am

I got my second roll.. neon yellow.. prints GREAT, clean, supports come off easy.. but.. no cohesion.. stress the part and it snaps aprt. seller said 230c extrude, i tried 230, 240 and 250.. at 250 it started looking melty and supports more difficult to get off, but still no cohecsion.. learned my lesson.. avoid ebay.. heap of horse shit on it..

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Tue May 27, 2014 4:42 pm

Well I guess I have been very lucky then, I probably have purchased 30 or so rolls of filament from different suppliers selling on ebay and haven't had any issues at all with any of the filament.

roller

Post by roller » Wed May 28, 2014 7:02 am

mb20music wrote:Well I guess I have been very lucky then, I probably have purchased 30 or so rolls of filament from different suppliers selling on ebay and haven't had any issues at all with any of the filament.
The quality these days is better than the past few years but as it's just Russian roulette with a lot of it I just won't bother. The Up is a little more forgiving with it's larger 0.4mm nozzle so it takes time to suffer the clogged nozzle misery from using a junk filament. Some of my repraps will jam immediately with their 0.3 nozzles.

Chris botha

Post by Chris botha » Wed May 28, 2014 8:42 am

The grey stuff actually comes out in blobs, like hmmm... bulges in the extrusion, slightly different colour, like white bits in the grey material,.. but as bad as it looks, it actually prints better than the yellow one.. the yellow looks better but zero cohesion lol

Chris botha

Post by Chris botha » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:29 pm

mb20music wrote:Well I guess I have been very lucky then, I probably have purchased 30 or so rolls of filament from different suppliers selling on ebay and haven't had any issues at all with any of the filament.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

took a minute ot record it.. watching it made me feel queasy.. had to run 5 minutes of OEM through her after to make sur eit wasnt clogging up.. no more ebay shit for me..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsnpx0A ... e=youtu.be

well avoid this one.. ill link to his store once my wife gives me the URL.

Chris botha

Post by Chris botha » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:09 am

worked ok on these two models in print though.. I wonder at what cost though....

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:363845