Vapour Bath with Acetone

Share projects and models that you like, and wow the fellow Uppers!
changfrancis

Vapour Bath with Acetone

Post by changfrancis » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:10 pm

This is how to finish a ABS product :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj53P2YzYGM

scubamatt41

Re: Vapour Bath with Acetone

Post by scubamatt41 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:46 pm

wauw, that looks very very nice. Thanks for sharing :)
Always breath out on the way UP

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:40 pm

I tried the same sort of thing, but with a cover on the jar. I hope he enjoys those lovely soothing acetone vapours. Sure do clear out the sinus...... I'd recommend doing this in a well ventilated area, like outside.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

Marbla

Post by Marbla » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:59 pm

wilsonj wrote:I tried the same sort of thing, but with a cover on the jar. I hope he enjoys those lovely soothing acetone vapours. Sure do clear out the sinus...... I'd recommend doing this in a well ventilated area, like outside.
What do you mean by cover?
Was it the cap or did you just place something flat on it?
Is there any risk of a flame when removing the lid?

ahd71

Post by ahd71 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:52 pm

I'm high on the fumes after tonights experiments ;-(

Tested with aceton heated in a pot with some test parts inside and a lid. I was surprised that a few seconds was enough to get a nice finnish. Still have to come up with clever ideas to hold the items to get minimum footprint from marks.

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:32 am

Marbla wrote:
wilsonj wrote:I tried the same sort of thing, but with a cover on the jar. I hope he enjoys those lovely soothing acetone vapours. Sure do clear out the sinus...... I'd recommend doing this in a well ventilated area, like outside.
What do you mean by cover?
Was it the cap or did you just place something flat on it?
Is there any risk of a flame when removing the lid?
I should have said plastic container with lid, not jar. I also don't use heat. It is much slower, but works fine and has less chance of blowing up. ;)
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

bobwho

Re: Re: Vapour Bath with Acetone

Post by bobwho » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:39 am

wilsonj wrote: I should have said plastic container with lid, not jar. I also don't use heat. It is much slower, but works fine and has less chance of blowing up. ;)
Not necessarily less chance mate...

I have recently started working at a paint manufacturing plant (acetone and MEK by the tankfull!) and have learned static discharge is a big issue. Plastic containers, household carpet and polyester clothing are major areas of concern, aside from the nearby electronics. A big fireball happened from static discharge in the factory about 2 years ago.

Glass container is better, metal that has been earthed with a bonding strap better still. Avoid heat and make sure you have something to cover the container and suffocate the flames if the need arrives. if extracting solvent vapours, make sure the fan motor is at the very least a brushless type

Thought I'd add some realism. Dont rush it and perhaps the laundry or garage is a better place for a vapour bath than in the office next to the printer. My 2 cents worth

sent from my phone...

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:00 pm

Good point bobwho. You are right about the static from the plastic. Glass would be safer. Although I wonder just how much of a bang we would get with the really small amount of acetone used. Personally I'm more concerned about breathing the vapour.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:38 pm

I tried this last summer, it works also :)

http://solidoodletips.wordpress.com/201 ... -finisher/

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

teamcarlisle wrote:I tried this last summer, it works also :)

http://solidoodletips.wordpress.com/201 ... -finisher/
I got my Presto Multi-Cooker the other day from Amazon and tried it today. This kitchen gadget is really perfect for the application - just the right size and features. I got excellent results on the first tries, although I think the process can be enhanced with further tweaking. The biggest problem, once you've found a good temperature setting that releases enough vapor but doesn't boil off all the acetone too quickly, is that on tall prints the bottom will get smoothed a lot sooner, hence more, than the top. I'm thinking of some sort of hand-cranked paddle-stirrer through the center hole of the glass lid to distribute the vapor more evenly.

The kapton tape-on-the-bottom is a good idea, as are feet on the basket, because you really do not want the bottom of your print sitting in a puddle of acetone (don't ask me how I know).

The cover on the multi-cooker makes a good enough seal that acetone smell in my office is not an issue.

Julia

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:31 am

Hi
once you've found a good temperature setting that releases enough vapor but doesn't boil off all the acetone too quickly
What temperature do you suggest?

Regards
Lawrence

amd-tec

Post by amd-tec » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:39 pm

Check out this surface finisher, The 3d refiner.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/180 ... expresscom
"3D design with intelligent printing"
http://www.amd-tec.com

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:06 pm

Lawrence wrote:Hi
once you've found a good temperature setting that releases enough vapor but doesn't boil off all the acetone too quickly
What temperature do you suggest?

Regards
Lawrence
Hi Lawrence,

Here's where it ended up after 3 or 4 trials:
acetone temp.jpg
acetone temp.jpg (64.5 KiB) Viewed 15226 times
but my experimentation was far from comprehensive. Basically whenever I got impatient waiting for something to happen I'd crank it up a few degrees and boil off a bit more juice :)

julia