Mona Lisa Litophane

Share projects and models that you like, and wow the fellow Uppers!
pp3dp.nl

Mona Lisa Litophane

Post by pp3dp.nl » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:37 pm

I made a litophane of the Mona Lisa, it can be found here:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:41091

The one in the picture was printed upright on an Up Plus (0.15 mm layers) in white PLA (--> use software version 1.15 for PLA!). ABS is possible but will warp a lot because of the thin wall.
mona lisa.jpg
mona lisa.jpg (119.66 KiB) Viewed 6295 times

mr6k

Re: Mona Lisa Litophane

Post by mr6k » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:06 pm

I think you maybe surprised how good lithopanes are with ABS, and if you print vertically, no noticeable warping occurs. When I say vertically I mean with the image upright on the platform To ensure a good , no raft, initial adhesion, I always add a thin line at the bottom of the original photo, black if printing inverted (looks correct with light shining through the lithopane), or white if printing non inverted (so image looks good in reflected light). The software converts this to a small platform ledge at the base to give good adhesion to the baseplate when printing, This can also be left on so the lithopane stands up on its own

cheers

Peter

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:44 pm

I have printed a lot of the in ABS before but it's not always successful. The type of ABS (''natural'' works good) and size of the model are important. I made some with a black frame all around and some with a stand attached (edited in the STL later) but warping can be a problem. And the Up software has differences in temperature/ahesion,too (especially for PLA, that's why I mentioned to print PLA with version 1.15 because all later versions run too hot with PLA). This PLA one in the picture is rather tall (125 mm) and printed upright but warping was minimal.
mr6k wrote:I think you maybe surprised how good lithopanes are with ABS, and if you print vertically, no noticeable warping occurs. When I say vertically I mean with the image upright on the platform To ensure a good , no raft, initial adhesion, I always add a thin line at the bottom of the original photo, black if printing inverted (looks correct with light shining through the lithopane), or white if printing non inverted (so image looks good in reflected light). The software converts this to a small platform ledge at the base to give good adhesion to the baseplate when printing, This can also be left on so the lithopane stands up on its own

cheers

Peter

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:56 pm

Wow, that looks awesome!
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

juancr

Post by juancr » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:51 pm

great job!
Regards,
JuanCR
(You should know I do my best with my written english ;-) )