First prints with a modified nozzle

Share projects and models that you like, and wow the fellow Uppers!
Post Reply
plusfabrication
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:43 am

First prints with a modified nozzle

Post by plusfabrication » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:47 am

These are the first test prints we have done after modifying the nozzle (increasing the diameter in a slightly rough fashion). We are experimenting with creating prints with a more organic, less mechanically horizontal step texture.

http://www.plusfabrication.com/uploads/ ... 7_orig.png
http://www.plusfabrication.com/uploads/ ... 6_orig.png

roller
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:09 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: First prints with a modified nozzle

Post by roller » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:30 am

Beautiful ... please keep us posted on your work and experiments. I used to play around a lot more with my Up and you remind me I should really get back into it. What I like about the reprap prints is the range of potential failures that can produce really interesting outcomes. I actually have more failed prints that I've kept than successful ones.

User avatar
JuliaDee
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

First prints with a modified nozzle

Post by JuliaDee » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:57 am

Can you give us any details of the nozzle modification process?

Bindw
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:52 am
Contact:

Re: First prints with a modified nozzle

Post by Bindw » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:55 am

Nice work, I love the texture you have achieved. What type of filament are you using?

plusfabrication
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:43 am

Re: First prints with a modified nozzle

Post by plusfabrication » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:50 pm

Thanks guys, glad it's of interest to others as well. Here's a side by side of another test of the modified nozzle versus the standard (the height difference is just because we cut down the modified one, we are testing it out as a sort of shade for a hanging light). The modification is pretty simple, we just drilled out the nozzle to a 1mm diameter, cleaning up the burrs on the outside of the nozzle but not reaming out the interior. The irregularity of the shape on the interior creates the semi-random variation.

http://www.plusfabrication.com/uploads/ ... 1_orig.png

http://www.plusfabrication.com/uploads/ ... 8_orig.png

plusfabrication
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:43 am

Re: First prints with a modified nozzle

Post by plusfabrication » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:51 pm

Oh, and we're using ABS filament from Octave.

User avatar
JuliaDee
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: First prints with a modified nozzle

Post by JuliaDee » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:32 am

Brilliant and groundbreaking, kudos! I need to buy some nozzles now...

Post Reply