Models showcasing

Share projects and models that you like, and wow the fellow Uppers!
Dimarzio

Models showcasing

Post by Dimarzio » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:35 am

Hello everyone,

I thought it would be nice to show what can be done on a UP! Mini in combination with some 3D modelling.
I bought my printer a while ago and didn't have that much problems actually, apart from some clogging and calibration issues, but I got that pretty much solved.

I think it's incredible to create something like a digital sculptor, print it out and hold it in your hands, so cool!! I find it funny that I really have to think ahead sometimes in order for separate objects to connect and such. Anyway, here a some links/pics. I post everything on Thingiverse since I'm about sharing :P Hope you like it! Here are some models I'm really proud of:

Castle Grayskul (He-Man Universe) -http://www.thingiverse.com/make:42547
This is a bit from my childhood :) I'm by no means a toy-geek or anything, just nostalgic I guess. So I saw the blueprints for this new re-make of the Castle Grayskull and thought it would awesome to have a bit of mini-replica of it. Since I'm bound by the fairly small size of the printbed I decided to try and cut it up in multiple objects So I could go a bit bigger :) I also made the door with a working hinging, so on one side it looks like a door and when it opens up like a drawbridge, you'll have a tongue with teeth. I made this entirely in Zbrush.

Protoss Nexus - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:139658
Recently made this piece! It's from a game that I play frequently. Also here, the aim was to have a nice model with other objects so I could print it bigger. Sometimes it's also easier to it like this because printing out replacement parts is not so time consuming (although printing out the large Nexus/Base model takes around 9,5 hours :) )

These are just a few things of what I made. Hope you like it! I don't think I would've made this if it wasn't for the 3D printer that I have...so much fun creating new stuff :)

JuliaDee

Re: Models showcasing

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:27 pm

Wow, the finish on Protoss Nexus is amazing!!! Kudos to you!

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:29 am

Is that image, a 3D print or a computer render ?

Amazing if it is a real print!

cheers

Peter

Dimarzio

Post by Dimarzio » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:51 pm

First of all, thanks for the generous compliments!

To clarify things, my workflow for posting stuff on Thingiverse is a bit like this: I model something I like, make sure it's connectable and printable in the end. Onwards, I make renders of the objects in a program called Keyshot. It's an incredible easy too use render program and you can get quick realistic results. So, most of the time I haven't printed anything...yet... ;-) It's time-consuming. So to give a heads-up to the people I do a nice render/presentation of what it should look like. So, that's the main pictures you see most of the time unless I have printed and painted something, like the Patrick Starfish! You can check by each model I made, what other people made. So that means, they downloaded my model(s) and printed them. You can check it out under "Made" I think. For example; I made a Zerg-logo with a stand. Somebody printed it out and painted it with modelling paint.

So, I'm very sorry to dissappoint you guys if you thought it were "finished" prints ;-) On the flipside: You can give it an Acetone treatment if you really want to get it smooth. You'll will need some material for that and I also saw someone selling a Acetone Vapor Chamber on Indiegogo I believe.

Anyways, just wanted to share some things I made with the UP! Mini, to show it's not a too bad desktop 3D printer and you can get pretty good results! If you have any questions, feel free to ask! Never hurt's to help and share, right? ;-)

Numonic

Post by Numonic » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:10 pm

Have been very busy making figures and having a blast here is some work I've done with the Mini, wish the build size was way bigger and would love a bit more detail in the print.

Numonic

Post by Numonic » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:27 am

More Creature goodness, latest character in progress looking forward to printing him. :D
Attachments
PteradactylDroidProgress2.jpg
PteradactylDroidProgress2.jpg (38.29 KiB) Viewed 7196 times
PteradactylDroidProgress.jpg
PteradactylDroidProgress.jpg (40.77 KiB) Viewed 7196 times

Perez Turner

Post by Perez Turner » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:33 am

It looks cool and productive. Especial the working and finishing on it impressed me a lot and I am happy o find a quality stuff here.

Scale For Less | Bench Scales