Warping parts

Share projects and models that you like, and wow the fellow Uppers!
Numonic

Warping parts

Post by Numonic » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:00 pm

Seems that every other print I made parts are warping any one know a good solution for this issue ? I've re-calibrated my machine and generally set my parts at the mid of the platform.
I sometimes just rotate the parts to mix and match and it eases the situation but it does resume from time to time. I'm using the Up Mini.

mb20music

Re: Warping parts

Post by mb20music » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:48 pm

Do you keep the air duct closed? is the platform 100% heated when starting your print?
Is your platform perfectly level? is the nozzle height correct?

Numonic

Post by Numonic » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:44 pm

Platform is adjusted I re-calibrated using the software calibrate, and I set the nozzle height to 121 or 120 I forget I'm not near my printer now. I do keep the fan switch to off next to the nozzle.

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:31 pm

I solved a lot of warping problems on mine by building an enclosure around the print area out of foam board, using magnets to attach to the chassis of the printer. Serves two purposes, keeps drafts from hitting the print, and keeps the ambient air temp around the print a little warmer (its not a full enclosure) are your prints warping and pulling free of the perf board, or warping the perfboard with it?

roller

Post by roller » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:13 am

teamcarlisle wrote:I solved a lot of warping problems on mine by building an enclosure around the print area out of foam board, using magnets to attach to the chassis of the printer. Serves two purposes, keeps drafts from hitting the print, and keeps the ambient air temp around the print a little warmer (its not a full enclosure) are your prints warping and pulling free of the perf board, or warping the perfboard with it?
Numonic, there's are a few strategies to prevent warping and what's appropriate can depend on the model itself. Maybe a photo of your problems would get you some good suggestions. Teamcarlisle suggests the most common issue but as you're printing with a Mini (presumably with the door closed) this won't help you much. Preheating the Mini chamber with a hairdryer/fan heater can help as the heated bed in the Mini just isn't hot enough but there are many prints that are difficult no matter what and need a different strategy. A picture would go a long way to helping us understand.

Numonic

Post by Numonic » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:01 pm

I just deleted two models in the print job and positioned two of the remaining models in the middle of the bed. I also just preheated the damn plate 15-preheat on the up software setting. Seemed to help a bit, after that printed a much larger piece with no prob it's odd sometimes it's just a case by case issue but the general heating does help. I also watch it every so often I always print with the door closed I don't really care too much about the melted plastic forming it. I just need my parts printed lol other than that I just monitor it for quality prints and what not.

ftdesigns

Post by ftdesigns » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:44 am

not sure what kind of platform you are using.

My setup to guarantee no warping:

platform: perf board, one piece of kapton tape. then spread glue stick all over where the part is going to print.

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:41 am

Sorry, I missed the part where he said he was using a mini. Preheating the bed before you start is an important step on both printers, on the up! Plus I usually hit the preheat button the second I load the software so its warming up while I load files to print. Good advice for the mini too

roller

Post by roller » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:02 am

Yes, preheating is always wise. With the Mini the heat is very uneven and falls off dramatically towards the edges. With some prints that spread across the whole print area warping is almost a forgone conclusion. The more you can do to get the interior of the Mini warmer the better (for your print at least).