Tie dying with Taulman nylon

Share projects and models that you like, and wow the fellow Uppers!
wilsonj

Tie dying with Taulman nylon

Post by wilsonj » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:04 am

My first attempt at tie dying nylon. Its not as good as Richrap's efforts, but its a start. Takes quite a bit of time to unroll, dye, dry and re roll the filament. Oh and then print it..... I was hoping it wouldn't fail 3/4 the way through for some reason :shock:

Printed at .15mm and the new surface printing feature for nice thin walls.

Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

JuliaDee

Re: Tie dying with Taulman nylon

Post by JuliaDee » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:04 pm

WOw, nice result for a first try!

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:43 pm

Thanks Julia. I'm keen to try it again, but next time I'll dry the filament out better.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

roller

Post by roller » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:20 am

Many don't bother unrolling the filament for the tie dye effect but just put half (or third of) the roll in the dye to colour just that sector ... of course with that method the banding becomes thinner as the print gets bigger and it's also better for rolls with larger diameters than the Taulman nylon. Maybe you could transfer it to a bigger rolls as a first step and just partial dye them to make it easier ... if that fits with the type of result you want.

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:39 pm

Hi Roller,

This is kinda what I did, by unrolling the roll into a larger coil, then dying each end, leaving the middle natural white. As you know the Taulman reels are quite small, making it difficult, but not impossible I'm sure, to dye.

Ideally I would like to make a machine that unwinds the roll onto a much larger coil, then unhook the free coil, dye, dry, then recoil back onto the original reel.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

roller

Post by roller » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:08 pm

I made such a machine ... it was very handy until I needed to steal the parts for something else. I definitely need to make another. I have already split my old up reels and made PLA cores so I just roll them onto the hub (with one of the donor reels fitted) then pop of the donor reel for storage. That way I can have all my filament spool ready while not having enough spools. Only problem now is all my PLA is wound for Ultimachine reels which i use on reprap and all my ABS is on UP! reels. My Nylon is yet to find a home :(