Yet another reason the UP! was the right choice

Share projects and models that you like, and wow the fellow Uppers!
nickw

Yet another reason the UP! was the right choice

Post by nickw » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:22 am

Hi all,
The engineering department at my school recently bought a uprint SE for around $15k.
I was talking to my professor about it and he was amazed that i bought a printer that got .15mm resolution
for only $1,600 (The uprint goes to .2) so i printed this model to show him why they should have bought 9ish UP!'s instead.
From talking to him about it, it seems that the only way their printer is better is that it has a heated chamber and the
support material is more easily removed. In my opinion this is not worth $13,400... I think he feels the same.
It's not a super impressive model, but it turned out way better than i expected so i figured i would share.
Attachments
Untitled3.jpg
Untitled3.jpg (80.4 KiB) Viewed 4803 times

JuliaDee

Re: Yet another reason the UP! was the right choice

Post by JuliaDee » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:20 pm

$15K, yikes. Some industrial designers I work with ordered a Replicator 2 months ago. At the time, I started to tell them it was a mistake, but then kept my mouth shut as they are smart guys and proud and said they'd thoroughly researched the purchase - I didn't want to rain on their parade. Now they've got it and hate it; they've spent hundred of hours fiddling with it and are still not getting good ABS prints. Meanwhile they see me cranking out good stuff with my Ups day in and day out - I try not to gloat :)

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:44 am

I have two Up! Plus printers and really wanted to start printing larger objects and play with finer resolutions and pla. So I bought a replicator 2 over the 4th of July. I would definitely rather just have a larger Up! Printer that prints pla. The makerbot has been a bittersweet experience. But half a month later, 1kg of wasted test prints, and after fixing some assembly oversights from the factory and figuring out that the sailfish firmware with the makerware software works best for me Im finally happy with it. I have been printing lithophanes and focusing on getting rid of "corner ringing" which the replicator 2 has problems with. If your buddies would like a copy of my makerware settings let me know and I can pm it to you, but my setting print slower. If they are printing with abs, do they have the "2X" version of the replicator?

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:53 am

Yes, they have a 2X. I don't really want to get involved, have enough stuff of my own to deal with lol. I sure wish QU-BD would send me the Revolution XL I ordered and paid for 3 months ago, or at least answer my emails :x