Making a shape hollow

Share projects and models that you like, and wow the fellow Uppers!
Poida

Making a shape hollow

Post by Poida » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:34 am

Hi All

I have made some horns using TinkerCAD (called it Horns1, made it public). I used the Torus Thick and a Paraboloid. The issue I have is that I need to basically make the resulting shapes hollow, and they are full of the residual shapes I used. Is there any way to just print the "outside" and leave the "inside" hollow?

Cheers

Pete

wackojacko

Re: Making a shape hollow

Post by wackojacko » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:51 pm

In tinkercad group the objects then export to STL and in v1.19 print in Shell mode.
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:20 am

Even without using Shell Mode I think the Up slicer turns any enclosed "solid" area into shells with support inside, as opposed to true "solids" or any "residual shapes". The other day I drew up a quick electronics enclosure in Tink just for an illustration; I used solid shapes because I had no plans to print it. Later I decided to print it to give to a client to feel and touch, and halfway through I remembered I hadn't "hollowed" it out. When I went over to look at the printer, I saw that it was printing all of the "solid" interior as a support lattice (at the density specified in the print prefs) and just "skinning" the outside. So basically just print your horns without worrying about any embedded "residual shapes" and they should be fine. Shell mode will do away with the inner support if you find you really don't need it for strength or, um, support.

Here's the box. Even though the model is made of "solid" shapes in Tinkercad, the only solid part in the print is the outer skin; the Up software filled everything with support lattice, which is in fact what I wanted.
Screen shot 2013-07-06 at 10.57.56 AM.png
Screen shot 2013-07-06 at 10.57.56 AM.png (205.39 KiB) Viewed 5810 times

Poida

Post by Poida » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:46 am

I did wonder what the "Shell" tick box was for (new doccos shortly? What's "Skin"?). I'll give it a go and see what happens.

When I did start printing it initially it was making all the internal shapes and filling them with support structure. Then, due to massive warping one lifted, caught on the print head and was pulled from the board! Luckily I was watching, and shut it down. It was then I noticed that the torus was being constructed in it's entirety within the shape. The printer is now at school, so I'll play again next week.

Ta for the help.

Cheers

Poida