Cellular Lamp

Share projects and models that you like, and wow the fellow Uppers!
Scott

Cellular Lamp

Post by Scott » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:31 am

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:19104

Printed twice on my up mini.

print one:

print 2:

Numonic

Re: Cellular Lamp

Post by Numonic » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:32 pm

Interesting what settings was it printed on? I know it's not the standard filament for UP how did you find it working? Did it give you issues? If so what were they I plan on getting the up Mini and need to know as much info as possible :)

Scott

Post by Scott » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:48 am

Numonic wrote:Interesting what settings was it printed on? I know it's not the standard filament for UP how did you find it working? Did it give you issues? If so what were they I plan on getting the up Mini and need to know as much info as possible :)
Sorry about the slow reply.

Printed with the official UP! blue filament.

First one was printed on 30% support, medium air. - had some issues with platform adhesion and support material breaking during the print. Tricky to remove so much support.

Second one was printed on 10% support with max air.

Numonic

Post by Numonic » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:17 am

No worries man I'm was interested in your work flow, pretty cool print it looks complicated I'm happy the Up was able to print that. I'm also happy that the color was from UP. As far as the colored stuff what are you thoughts on it? Is it worth it compared to the regular white version? Does it take longer to print with color?

Good stuff man :)

Scott

Post by Scott » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:15 am

Numonic wrote:No worries man I'm was interested in your work flow, pretty cool print it looks complicated I'm happy the Up was able to print that. I'm also happy that the color was from UP. As far as the colored stuff what are you thoughts on it? Is it worth it compared to the regular white version? Does it take longer to print with color?

Good stuff man :)
Yeah It was a complicated print. I think the first print to 14 hours or somthing crazy like that.

With the colour printing you simply load the printer with a differnt colour of plastic. No settings to change or anything like that. The offical UP colours cost the same and take the same time to print. My orange and black colours (non OEM) give off a far stronger smell than the UP! ones.

Main differnce with the non-white printing is that defects show clearer. Anywhere you snap away support material leves a bit of a white mark. Less noticable on the white plastic.

Platform adhesion seems a little worse and support material seems less stable at to 0.20 resolution. I think this caused some of the issues with my first print.

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:57 am

If if print colored models that have the white marks from support removal I always ''graze'' the model with a torch lighter. The color turns back just like the rest of the model, very bright.

So just hold a lighter to those white spots, not too long because ABS likes to burn. You can also wipe the model with a cloth with acetone but that smells bad and doesn't work as fast and nice as the flame..

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:54 pm

pp3dp.nl wrote:If if print colored models that have the white marks from support removal I always ''graze'' the model with a torch lighter. The color turns back just like the rest of the model, very bright.
A heat gun (essentially a superhot blow drier) works just as well, but without the risk of burning. You can get a heat gun at just about any hobby store, not that expensive.

ahntlia

Post by ahntlia » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:54 am

Well I can't figure how it took so long for you to print such a simple model....
I received my upmini a week ago and it print out on the first attempt
0.25 resolution
solid fill
10% support
about 5 hours