My try to Clumsy Dragon!

Share projects and models that you like, and wow the fellow Uppers!
jspark

My try to Clumsy Dragon!

Post by jspark » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:08 am

Hi!
I tried to print the clumsy dragon by redbeard which julia has printed.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:18365

There's a some support problems, so I lost the some part of dragon's tail.
And the body broken when I try to take off the dragon from perfboard. :cry:
But It still looks Great!!! ;)

I used normal ivory ABS for filament on about 230deg working temperarure.

jspark_20120826_600.jpg
clumsy dragon
jspark_20120826_600.jpg (190.73 KiB) Viewed 9042 times

wilsonj

Re: My try to Clumsy Dragon!

Post by wilsonj » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:53 am

Looks great ! Seems to be a nice model to print. I'll add it to my list.

Regarding breakage. Perhaps you could try a higher temperature? It might help to adhere the layers better. And maybe make sure the fan isn't blowing on the print after the raft is laid.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

jspark

Post by jspark » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:14 am

Thanks! wilsonj!

I thing so, but the reason of broken Dragon's body is because I pulled the body by my hand as I usually did..

I realised the Dragon is so sexy and has a slender waist! ;)

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:50 pm

Its a sexy dragon indeed.

Well my first attempt at the dragon ended up with support failing for some reason. Trying again with more support.....

One thing I have noticed is just how nice and smooth the lines are. Makes for an impressive print, or at least I hope it will.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:12 pm

I've printed the Clumsy Dragon five times now, using Octave and 3dprintingsystems filament at normal 260C Up! temperature. Results look about the same as yours. Light green is particularly good; navy blue showed the layers too much. One of the prints was sent to the creator of the model, who doesn't have a printer and had never seen a print of his creation!

On two of the five attempts I cut back on the support parameters to try and save print time; on both of those prints some critical support for the curling tail actually fell off the curved body parts of the figure during printing and the prints had to be aborted. So for this model I suggest a) use the default support options and b) turn the damper on your fan duct off or at least throttle it down to a minimal flow so that the support sticks well to the model. I haven't had any support removal problems with this guy even with the damper fully closed.

This figure makes a good gift. I was previously giving Dizingof's away but I realized that they may be a bit too "far out" for some folks who might not realize that you can print things other than abstract sculptures :)

julia

jspark

Post by jspark » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:30 pm

wilsonj wrote:Its a sexy dragon indeed.

Well my first attempt at the dragon ended up with support failing for some reason. Trying again with more support.....

One thing I have noticed is just how nice and smooth the lines are. Makes for an impressive print, or at least I hope it will.
I incresed the temperature to just before popping temp. as your comment.
The support setting was same as first try.
And tried my second printing. But I failed again on under the curling tail's support.
I hope your second try to be a succeceful! :)
JuliaDee wrote:I've printed the Clumsy Dragon five times now, using Octave and 3dprintingsystems filament at normal 260C Up! temperature. Results look about the same as yours. Light green is particularly good; navy blue showed the layers too much. One of the prints was sent to the creator of the model, who doesn't have a printer and had never seen a print of his creation!

On two of the five attempts I cut back on the support parameters to try and save print time; on both of those prints some critical support for the curling tail actually fell off the curved body parts of the figure during printing and the prints had to be aborted. So for this model I suggest a) use the default support options and b) turn the damper on your fan duct off or at least throttle it down to a minimal flow so that the support sticks well to the model. I haven't had any support removal problems with this guy even with the damper fully closed.

This figure makes a good gift. I was previously giving Dizingof's away but I realized that they may be a bit too "far out" for some folks who might not realize that you can print things other than abstract sculptures :)

julia
How happy the creator is! :D
Thank's julia! for your valuable comment.
I think I have to make first the new version wind barrier that can control the wind direction.
I'd like to succese on 3rd try! :)

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:27 pm

Thanks Julia for the tips. Maybe due to the smooth nature of the model support doesn't build well ?

Anyway, this time I've gone overboard and selected "stable" support. I've only ever used this once before on a particularly difficult model. Not sure how easy it is going to be to remove the support from the head/neck area though.

Unfortunately I forgot to reduce the fill rate, so I'm left with a 14+ hour print....... :shock:

Good luck on your 3rd attempt jspark ! This model is a surprising challenge.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:19 pm

14 hours, yikes! It's only 6 with default settings, and less if you go for a less-dense fill. I don't think the support-related failures (the ones I had anyway) are related so much to the amount of support as to the temperature/adhesion of the support. Low extrusion temps and air across the part are great for making support removal easy, but on this one you really want the plastic soft enough to stick well to those smooth, curved surfaces.

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:06 am

Hi Julia,

Yeah 14hrs is insane for this print. I didn't realise it until after it had started, then I knew I hadn't reduced the fill. As I was going to bed anyway I thought I would just let it run.

The print came out almost perfect. Except for a slight de-lamination on the body, which would be due to the heavy infill. Otherwise making the support "stable" worked great. And wasn't overly difficult to remove afterwards.

jspark, your up! :D
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

jspark

Post by jspark » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:36 am

Thanks wilsonj!
I'm expecting your way makes successful print!
I would like to try follow your way first after my new filament spools arriving.
Please let me know your printing result after the print is done!
I think the Clumsy Dragon might be a one of the MASTER course projects of UP Printing! :D