My first patina

Share projects and models that you like, and wow the fellow Uppers!
wilsonj

My first patina

Post by wilsonj » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:25 pm

I wanted to try the old patina look, so ordered some bronze paint ( with real bronze pieces) and some Tiffany green patina.

I used spray putty to fill in most of the lines, and gave it a couple light sands.

The end result wasn't quite as good as I was hoping for, but its a start.

Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

pp3dp.nl

Re: My first patina

Post by pp3dp.nl » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:11 pm

Looks good! Sappho is the logo for the Artec 3D scanner, I think they scanned this statue.

ahd71

Post by ahd71 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:12 pm

Not bad at all IMO. Looks great!

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:23 am

Hi Jamie,
that looks really good. Great effects on it makes it look 100 years old.
Regards
Lawrence

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:46 pm

Thanks guys. I'll try another one soon, and hopefully use a few more products to enhance the look. I'd like to try a full size Alexander the Great face, but I'll keep practising on smaller models for a while first.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:11 pm

And have you tried putting the statue in acetone for a while? That's perfect if you are painting it, the lines will disappear and you will need less putty. --> and no sanding :D

Especially statues like this will benefit because usually they have no tiny breakable features so you don't have to worry about some resolution lost by ''melting'' of the ABS.

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:09 pm

pp3dp.nl wrote:And have you tried putting the statue in acetone for a while? That's perfect if you are painting it, the lines will disappear and you will need less putty. --> and no sanding :D

Especially statues like this will benefit because usually they have no tiny breakable features so you don't have to worry about some resolution lost by ''melting'' of the ABS.
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Yes I did do that on some of my other models, but I wanted to see how well the spray putty would work on a more detailed model. Previously I had only used it on larger flatter models that were easy to sand. On this model I had to mostly rely on the putty itself to fill in the "holes"

Next time I'll use the vapour bath.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

Tiger

Post by Tiger » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:09 am

pp3dp.nl wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:11 pm
Looks good! Sappho is the logo for the Artec 3D scanner, I think they scanned this statue.
Unfortunatelly photos are not available any more.. But here's the statues Artec has scanned. There are some bronze ones..