Comparison of 3D Printers

Coffee place for all the Uppers. Discuss about UP techniques, sharing ideas and tips. Coffee is on the house. :)
FallGuy

Comparison of 3D Printers

Post by FallGuy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:19 am

Went to an event at the Club Workshop (a hackerspace) here in Denver where they were showcasing and discussing 3D printing and printers. They invited all of their club members and other interested people and invited anyone with a printer to bring it down. I loaded up my first gen UP!, went down, and printed little whistles while talking printing with everyone. They had somewhere around 50 to 100 people wandering around and about 10 or so different models of 3D printers set up and running. There was a first gen MakerBot, several different RepRap/Mendel versions, a Stratasys Mojo, and two Lulzbot printers.

It was interesting watching people setup their printers and then print. The Mojo was already running when I got there so i didn't get a chance to see how long their setup took after transport. I had mine setup up, platform height checked and warming up within 10 minutes, printing about 5 minutes after that. The lulzbot guys also were able to setup pretty quickly with what appeared to be a minimum of hassle and start printing almost immediately. It was fairly amusing watching some of the tinkering going on when setting up and during printing.

The printer with the quality closest to the UP! was the Mojo, but considering it runs at $9900 it better be as good! The Lulzbot machines were pretty impressive quality wise as they were printing and seemed to perform real well. The rest of the Reprap/Mendel printers all produced prints that were droopy or had other surface defects of low quality that my UP! has never produced. And there were a couple STL files that some of there software packages just couldn't handle but the UP loaded fine.

The interesting thing that came up was in talking with the Lulzbot guys, their platform is completely open source, both hardware and software, with a build volume around 7-in. by 7-in. by 5-in. Because they were able to control their extrude temperature, they were able to print not only ABS and PLA, but polycarbonate and polystyrene objects that were real impressive. This base machine they sell for $1700 fully assembled. But more impressive still was the prototype machine they also brought, it had a build volume of about 12-in. x 12-in. 12-in. You could almost print a full sized basketball in a volume like that! They didn't have a cost for it yet and said they would be making an announcement in the next couple of months on availability. Looking at a 12 in. tall twisted vase that was printed in one piece was very cool.

Hopefully Edward and Darkhouse are listening, there are some new printers coming out with the bigger build volumes and improved functionality to adjust temperature for a wider variety of materials
Thanks,

FallGuy

roller

Re: Comparison of 3D Printers

Post by roller » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:35 am

This is exactly why I bought an Up. I have 3 repraps which I can get to print beautifully in PLA up to 300x200x250mm but every time I move them (and every 3 months) I have to do a full recalibrate - lots of measuring and levelling - it's tedious.

I am sure the Up! guys have noticed the new Cube and CubeX in particular, especially the new ABS formula, multiple heads and larger build area too. I am not sure repraps are quite a competitor yet but they are getting very very close.

FallGuy

Post by FallGuy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:13 am

Couldn't agree more. Reading some of the reprap blogs where they are discussing how many time they may have to re-run a print to get decent quality, or how best to dial in settings for a new spool of filament, and then seeing it in person as they tighten/loosen different things and adjust software settings, it made me appreciate how truly easy I have had it in using the UP!

But like you say, they (the reprap community) ARE improving things, overall quality, software functionality, etc, and it won't be too long before we start to see some comparable products and results. I just hope the UP development team is watching and preparing some useful new functions to the next generation of UP!
Thanks,

FallGuy

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:45 pm

Is very good to see your experience , look you say so many things about the temperature , but not all the people in this forum like this , to me is necessary a total temperature control , thanks Fallguy .

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:27 pm

Yes and I want preview of caculated support and I want it NOW because I need it, did I say I need it?
Always breath out on the way UP

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:24 pm

I agree it would be great to see your entire environment.

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:14 pm

sarcasm
Always breath out on the way UP

durgaprasadzone

Post by durgaprasadzone » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:51 am

Thanks for sharing information. Actually I had also the same question in mind for a long time anyways you started this thread & I am so happy.