Mood Ring Plastic, Coolest Ever!

Coffee place for all the Uppers. Discuss about UP techniques, sharing ideas and tips. Coffee is on the house. :)
pleppik

Mood Ring Plastic, Coolest Ever!

Post by pleppik » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:47 pm

I just received some new filament from Repraper, including transparent and color changing plastic.

Having printed a couple models in the green color-changing plastic, I can safely report that this is the coolest plastic EVER. On the reel it's a very deep green, but turns to a very bright almost-yellow shade when warmed in hot water or by holding it in your hands for a couple minutes.

The printed models, when cooled, don't quite go back to the dark green on the reel (though this could be a trick of the texture of the model vs. the filament), but it's still a dark Christmas-tree green. It has sort of a matte finish, and doesn't look like anything special until you pick it up and hold it for a bit.

The color change happens around 90-95F, so body heat or hot water will trigger the shift. I printed a Minecraft creeper with this stuff, and my kids won't let it go. I'm already making plans to print my printer parts with color changing plastic because that would just be awesome.

The transparent ABS also works really well. When printed it takes on a frosted appearance because of all the layers--this would be really spectacular with LEDs for lighting effects. If you've seen parts printed with natural PLA, the transparent ABS looks exactly the same.

Afinia also sells these plastics in the U.S., if you don't want to put together a huge order from China to make the shipping costs reasonable.

ftdesigns

Re: Mood Ring Plastic, Coolest Ever!

Post by ftdesigns » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:18 pm

Cool thanks for letting us know. And you have an Up! and had no difficulties with this plastic at all?

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:31 pm

ftdesigns wrote:Cool thanks for letting us know. And you have an Up! and had no difficulties with this plastic at all?
Yes, I have an Up. I have not had any problems yet, but I've only been playing with this plastic for half a day so far.

walter

Post by walter » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:22 am

I just noticed that the green/yellow color retains it's original green color much better if it's printed at a lower temperature (I'm using a 12 ohm resistor, so it's probably around 230 degrees). I haven't tried it with the grey/natural one yet.