Warping & Ways to avoid it.

Coffee place for all the Uppers. Discuss about UP techniques, sharing ideas and tips. Coffee is on the house. :)
marto

Warping & Ways to avoid it.

Post by marto » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:25 am

So I have been trying to do some fairly big prints on my Mini and I was wondering what techniques people had up their sleeve to prevent failed parts as much as possible.

One of the parts which I have had issues with is a 120mm x 3mm x 60mm plate which I had to print on its side diagonally as that was the only way it would print. I have tried extra pre-heating of bed/enclosure and the fan in both positions but doesn't seem to make a lot of difference.

I would also like to point out that my raft doesn't lift. The part separates from the raft. Printing a thicker raft seems to help but still running into issues being able to print similar things. I was wondering if people have advice on what settings are best to use and how you can mitigate these issues by design.

I can see adding holes to prevent excessive length in single strings along the main axis of warping might help, any other ideas would be appreciated.

Steve

eyUP

Re: Warping & Ways to avoid it.

Post by eyUP » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:16 am

I've also seen prints lifting off the raft on the Mini.
I haven't tried it as yet but was going pause the print after the raft has finished and drop Acetone or SuperGlue onto the corners. Obviously the raft will be then difficult to separate but if it's your own design you could add tabs in the corners which can be cut off later