Can these bracelets be printed on the Up printer?

Coffee place for all the Uppers. Discuss about UP techniques, sharing ideas and tips. Coffee is on the house. :)
Blown454

Can these bracelets be printed on the Up printer?

Post by Blown454 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:07 am

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:13505

These are the 'stretchy' bracelets I have had fun printing on my other printers, I tried one this last weekend and all I got was a raft? Are we able to print these or other types of these bracelets on our printers? Maybe I missed a setting? Thanks for the help!

pp3dp.nl

Re: Can these bracelets be printed on the Up printer?

Post by pp3dp.nl » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:00 pm

I'm afraid the Up isn't able to print this (yet?) because the model is designed to be printed with a single layer (wall) and is 0.4 mm. The Up software calculates a wall as 2 outside printlines (every side of a wall must be printed with one line of ABS/PLA).

But the Up should be able to do this in the future if the software is changed. --> wish list ;)

amd-tec

Post by amd-tec » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:29 pm

Blown454 wrote:http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:13505

These are the 'stretchy' bracelets I have had fun printing on my other printers, I tried one this last weekend and all I got was a raft? Are we able to print these or other types of these bracelets on our printers? Maybe I missed a setting? Thanks for the help!
Could you scale the wall thickness up to 0.6 mm. It should work.
"3D design with intelligent printing"
http://www.amd-tec.com

Blown454

Post by Blown454 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:37 am

Thanks for the info! Oh yes, I have read many of you all talking about this but until I had an actual print that made use of it, I didn't quite understand the complete whole of the situation. So unless I can make the perimeter 2 layers (2 times around for each pass of the perimeter), maybe scaling to 0.6 like amd-tec suggested would give it the 2 perimeter passes? I will try again and report back and thanks for the help!

I truly hope we get the ability to do this in the future (single wall, single pass perimeter) as I bet the Up printer can handle it with no problem.

roller

Post by roller » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:32 pm

If you scale it up then the Up software then your still going to have a double wall printed. This stops it being flexible like the design intends. The software really needs to support single wall for it to work as intended and is flexible like you might have noticed your support material is.

There is a feature request in for this change in the software but its unknown if it will be added. The Up printers certainly do very clean and neat single walls which you can see from the support material.

amd-tec

Post by amd-tec » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:41 pm

I´m pretty sure it will also be enough flexible with 0.6m wall thickness.
"3D design with intelligent printing"
http://www.amd-tec.com

roller

Post by roller » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:36 pm

The problem is partly the thickness (twice the thickness = 4 times the strength and stiffness) but mostly you have two bonded layers (with possibly some fill in between) that will try to tear each other apart as you stretch it. Try printing a platform floating in space so you get a pile of support material and you will see just how elastic single walls are. Print the same thing in a double wall and it wont want to flex and it will certainly make a lot of cracking noises when you try. You cannot change the laws of physics laddy!

Blown454

Post by Blown454 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:39 pm

Well I tried again with scaling to 0.6 and all I got again was a raft. I did the scaling in the actual Up software (scaled the whole bracelet), maybe I'm supposed to do it in the CAD software before hand? I will try and experiment a little more, but I am doubtful I will get it. When scaling, the bracelet is then too small to wear, so maybe this isn't really feasible with my talent. Single wall layers will have to be something I just hope for in the future with the Up software. Thanks for the help!

roller

Post by roller » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:10 pm

The official minimum is 1mm ... obviously it goes a bit lower than that but I am thinking the software assess the thickness of walls along the X and/or Y. So if you have a 0.6mm wall running straight up an down X for example its seen as too thin. Turn that same wall 45 degrees and the software will see the wall thickness at an angle and see it as roughly 0.85 instead.

Now I am sure the whole deal is more complicated than that but essentially the minimum to print at all angles is more than 0.6 and more like 0.8 and obviously the official 1mm to be perfectly safe.

I hope that made sense.

UPUPandAway

Post by UPUPandAway » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:27 am

Blown454 wrote:Well I tried again with scaling to 0.6 and all I got again was a raft. I did the scaling in the actual Up software (scaled the whole bracelet), maybe I'm supposed to do it in the CAD software before hand? I will try and experiment a little more, but I am doubtful I will get it. When scaling, the bracelet is then too small to wear, so maybe this isn't really feasible with my talent. Single wall layers will have to be something I just hope for in the future with the Up software. Thanks for the help!
You misunderstand what they were trying to tell you. When you scale to 0.6, you're scaling the bracelet to 60%, not increasing the wall thickness to 0.6mm. I don't know what CAD program this was created in nor which ones would be best for editing an STL file in this way, but if this was a NURBS-based file (STEP, for example) I could expand this in Solidworks to the proper thickness. While it may not be as stretchy, a thicker-walled bracelet should still work, but, like I said, I would need a STEP file or something similar to modify it.

roller

Post by roller » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:52 am

Well the idea is that it stretches significantly over your wrist and springs back after. That's what makes it such a cool bracelet. I printed a few similar ones for Christmas gifts last year... and a bunch of gingerbread cutters (PLA), and Christmas tress and ... omg, I printed a lot of trinkets last year.