Polycarbonate print platform

Coffee place for all the Uppers. Discuss about UP techniques, sharing ideas and tips. Coffee is on the house. :)
pp3dp.nl

Re: Polycarbonate print platform

Post by pp3dp.nl » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:07 am

When the platform gets a little more scratched you can remove as much ABS as possible (maybe with acetone) and then sand it some with sandpaper. It then turns matte again and adheres well.

But then again PC isn't that expensive.

Fred

Post by Fred » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:12 pm

I've had great results with polycarbonate so far. Plain 2mm polycarbonate from eBay held on with the original supplied bulldog clips. Sometimes the print will pop off with a little flexing of the board; sometimes it needs a little bit of persuasion with the scraper.

Not tried PLA or raftless yet.

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:55 pm

I agree Fred! PC or PMMA both do what UP users want from a print build sheet. I guess the PC is more suitable for the UP+ or not?
What is the situation with the fumes?
Always breath out on the way UP

roller

Post by roller » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:59 am

The problem with PMMA on the Plus or possible even the Mini is some melt at quite low temps and the Mini platform does get warm enough in the centre to cause a little warping. So my suggestion would be don't buy too much at once if the supplier can't give you specs on your particular batch. You also want to be sure your levelling is right - running some hot nozzles into these beds will not be pleasant.

Fred

Post by Fred » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:57 pm

I haven't used my Up much recently but yesterday tried to print a medium sized model using the official black filament. It adhered so badly to the polycarbonate that it would peel off by the time the raft was finished - tried 3 times. Even a dab of superglue in the corners didn't seem to help!

Not sure yet if it's the black that's different from the blue I'd used previously or the fact that the printer had been sitting unused for a while. (The filament just out of a sealed pack.)

Fred

Post by Fred » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:05 am

Well, I switched back to perfboard and adjusted the nozzle height so that the raft was well mashed into it. All was well.

I suspect the problem may be the larger thermal expansion of the black ABS. I seperated the model from the raft. The perfboard removed from the Up and left to cool, and the shrinking raft was enough to distort the board so it curled up by about 5mm in the corners. Once the raft was removed the perfboard flattened out again.

tuflite

Post by tuflite » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:06 am

These materials are really tough and can help you with a lot of benefits that are really awesome and lovable.

jackrobot

Post by jackrobot » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:57 am

The best thing about these products is that they are light weighted and high on strength. A very interesting thing is that this product is manufactured from toxic materials; however, the outcome of the product is actually non-toxic.

ikumajp

Post by ikumajp » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:50 am

Has anyone tried using a 1.5mm polycarbonate? Would it be too thin?

Rootz

Post by Rootz » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:24 am

For those wishing to experiment with Polycarbonate build plates I have a suggestion.

PC is really easy to cut if you know how.

Score along the line both sides to a depth of about 10-20% of total thickness.
Hold the PC on a flat surface like a table with the line along one edge of the surface and bend the loose part downwards.
It'll snap with a satisfying bang if it's over 1.5mm and give you a lovely clean edge. Under 1.5mmit's more of a snap than a bang but still clean :-)

Krosnyak

Post by Krosnyak » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:15 am

Try PEI sheets. It has an amber color, comes glossy like glass or Lexan, I sanded 1 side with 400 grit because I prefer a matte finish. It sticks as good as lexan, but, temperature DOES make a difference, so when you let the part cool down completely it just pops off the PEI sheet! With Lexan I have had parts bond to the sheet to the point that I had to trAsh the lexan sheet with the part starched to it. I have been using the same sheet for almost a year now, bending it, scratching it, sanding it, all kinds of abuse and it just works. Make sure you have the platform spot on level and play with the distance. I have noticed that the printer does NOT account for the layer thickness that you set at the time it starts the print, so let's say you have it at a 0.1 mm clearance, a 0.15 mm print will stick ok, but a 0.25 mm print will bee way too close and it will stick too much and give you the elephant foot effect and a bad surface finish.
Cheers

mariareese

Post by mariareese » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:50 am

I was going to try styrene, but haven't had time to figure out a good way to hold it flat to a support layer.

rabiyajamal45

Post by rabiyajamal45 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:30 am

I prefer a matte finish.