Where can I find the non-powered filament guide?

Coffee place for all the Uppers. Discuss about UP techniques, sharing ideas and tips. Coffee is on the house. :)
UPUPandAway

Where can I find the non-powered filament guide?

Post by UPUPandAway » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:17 pm

I see the latest UP! and Afinia models have a non-powered filament guide that just passively guides the filament into the "straw" on its way to the extruder. Where can I download this part? I have the old DC powered filament feeder and it works fine, but I'd like to go ahead and print out the passive one in the event that the motor dies or some other problem occurs since the DC feeder isn't sold anymore and most people insist you don't need a powered feeder anyway.

pleppik

Re: Where can I find the non-powered filament guide?

Post by pleppik » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:15 am

There are a bunch out there. My favorite is Julia's: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:26710

walter

Post by walter » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:08 am

If you're looking for the combined spool/filament guide that usually comes with the printer, the up software creates a directory with the printable parts.

On my computer it's at:
C:\Program Files (x86)\UP\Example\UP Plus Spare Parts\Spool Shaft V11.UP3

But as pleppik said, you'll probably find better options on Thingiverse.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:31 am

Hi Walter
we can't access your c:/ drive. If you want to share it you will need to upload the STL file and maybe a photo of it.
Regards
Lawrence
Melbourne, Australia

Eurisko84

Post by Eurisko84 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:32 am

Lawrence wrote:Hi Walter
we can't access your c:/ drive. If you want to share it you will need to upload the STL file and maybe a photo of it.
Hi Mate,

You should be able to find the same file in your program directory (where you installed the UP software).

Usually located in the Program Files/UP folder like Walter mentioned.

You will find all the printable parts that go with your printer as spares should you need to print them, such as the spool shaft. I can confirm the file exists also in my local directory.

Eddie

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:19 am

Hi guys

I must have been having "seniors moment" when I read Walter's post. It didn't register for me that it was an Up! downloaded file. I have checked the folder and it is there. Thanks.
Regards
Lawrence
Melbourne, Aus

woofy

Post by woofy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:42 am

There is also the holder from cool components which includes the filament guide.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:23619
Its derived from my own holder for their 1kg spools.
UP plus, Ultimaker2 & Raise N2+ Printers.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:23 am

pleppik wrote:There are a bunch out there. My favorite is Julia's: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:26710
Aw, thanks, pleppik!

:D

UPUPandAway

Post by UPUPandAway » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:57 pm

So, are we all in agreement that the powered filament feeders are unnecessary and don't affect anything? Like I said, I have the powered DC feeder, but, if I don't need it, I'd like to just replace it with the passive-style feeder and free myself of that gear grinding noise the DC feeder makes. If it matters at all, I use the standard 700g spools and don't plan on using a bigger spool unless PP3DP starts making official filament in those sizes (quality and reliability trumps price per pound for my purposes). Just wanted a final bit of reassurance before ditching my powered feeder for a passive one.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:35 am

Never used a powered one, never had a problem without it. I use both 1kg and 700g spools, mounted on the side of the printer, no bearings. But I do use a Petitclerc feed mechanism.

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:41 pm

My printer has the stepper motor filament feeder and no mods to the extruder head or its feed "grip". I have not had any jams or slippage with various suppliers of filament. Maybe it's just me but I feel some of the reason is that with the stepper feeder (which is completely quiet), I am putting zero load onto the extruder stepper pulling in filament. So my vote is to keep my stepper feeder.

cheers

Peter