UP STUDIO Ver 2.6.20.627

New user in this forum can introduce yourself here. Pictures of new UP Printer, fresh prints from UP Printer, and more.
markbougourd

UP STUDIO Ver 2.6.20.627

Post by markbougourd » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:36 am

The new version of UP Studio has a bug that is forcing a manual nozzle height check with the calibration card every time an auto level is performed. The extruder does a bed auto level and then a nozzle height check and then moves to front centre of the print bed before asking for the calibration. This is happening now on my UP BOX and UP BOX+ and also the same happening to a support partner I have spoken with.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Re: UP STUDIO Ver 2.6.20.627

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:21 am

I think that is a feature rather than a bug. It allows a proper offset to be applied so the calibration is good. Before my automated nozzle detection was way off, but now it'll compensate well for that. The information was't great on the up/down buttons so I ended up redoing it, but the result was great.
Cheers, Owen S.

markbougourd

Post by markbougourd » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:19 am

Believe me it is not a feature and as they do not supply a decent calibration tool it makes the printing very inconsistent in the way the material is laid down. I have been trying for weeks now to get an answer as to what the exact thickness of the calibration tool should be.
I was eventually told that a piece of A4 paper will do..... I think not.
Their support is AWFUL and as I have already spoken to a supplier who noticed same issue I am considering buying another make and selling the 2 UP BOX I have.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:52 am

markbougourd wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:19 am
I have been trying for weeks now to get an answer as to what the exact thickness of the calibration tool should be.
I was eventually told that a piece of A4 paper will do..... I think not.
Yeah I agree the support needs improving. It does seem to be getting better though.

The original UPBOX was manually calibrated with paper (approx 0.2mm). The current "+" version comes with a plastic shim that I've just measured to be 0.38mm. Before that I used a set of metal feeler gauges. The takeaway here is don't get hung up on the actual shim is just a starting point anyway. Stick it around 0.2mm and then incrementally adjust it depending on what material, temp, and build plate material , and model geometry you're running with for that particular print.

Unless you're printing raftless what I tell my guys is to manually set the level to within 0.5mm across the build plate and then let the 9 point auto level take care of the rest.

Hope that's of some use.
Cheers, Owen S.

markbougourd

Post by markbougourd » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:10 am

Yes I have been down that route already but still annoying that Tiertime have introduced a problem they don't seem to be aware of.
The auto level is as it says and should not be expected every print to set this manually.
Annoying to say the least when good printers are ruined by sub standard software.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:32 am

Hi.
I'm still lost. Every print? Why would you do an auto level on every print?

JothamB

Post by JothamB » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:07 pm

OwenSparks wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:32 am
Hi.

First post says:
The new version of UP Studio has a bug that is forcing a manual nozzle height check with the calibration card every time an auto level is performed.

markbougourd

Post by markbougourd » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:35 am

Because if you don't it buries the nozzle into the build plate.
Tiertime support is terrible. Great printer now bad software.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Wed May 01, 2019 10:03 am

JothamB wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:07 pm
OwenSparks wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:32 am
Hi.

First post says:
The new version of UP Studio has a bug that is forcing a manual nozzle height check with the calibration card every time an auto level is performed.
Yes, thanks, I read that ;) But my question wasn't "why you'd do a nozzle check on every auto level?", it was "why would you do an auto level on every print?"

The nozzle height will need to be changed if the bed level changes so it's a no brainer to do them together.
markbougourd wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:35 am
Because if you don't it buries the nozzle into the build plate...
Ah, now that's a totally different issue. Bed level + nozzle height setup is something that you should be able to do once every 6 months and just leave it alone and forget about it. At least that's our experience on our little fleet of UPBOX machines printing with rafts. If your auto-calibration isn't saving and you're having to do it every print then that's a problem.

Owen S