Hi from Timaru, NZ

New user in this forum can introduce yourself here. Pictures of new UP Printer, fresh prints from UP Printer, and more.
Garmonsway

Hi from Timaru, NZ

Post by Garmonsway » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:21 am

Hi there, my name's Alana and I'm a doll maker from New Zealand.

I've been getting my prototypes for ball jointed dolls printed through shapeways for years, and I got an Up Mini 2 as a belated Christmas gift and have been working my way through figuring out printing in ABS.

I'm printing a bobble-head as my first project, and the very first lesson I've learnt is to only print one model at a time. I tried to print the head and the spring together, but the spring became so much spaghetti (I think each layer cooled too much while the nozzle was over doing the head) and toppled into the head print. As you can see, I have a flawed/slightly burnt area where the spring had collapsed into the head:

Image.
We're getting there though.

Other things I've learned:
Use the perforated print bed for ABS
PREHEAT PREHEAT PREHEAT
The Importance Of A Level Bed
Exporting files from 3DS Max as *.obj results in weird deformation of the topology/normals, but exporting as *.3ds gives me models that are no trouble at all

(The day job is a photographic wetlab technician - between that printer and the Epson wideformat I have to use daily, this wee 3D printer is an absolute joy to operate).

bjorn

Re: Hi from Timaru, NZ

Post by bjorn » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:37 am

Welcome!

Pictures aren't showing btw. Did you attach them to the forum or use external hosting?

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Re: Hi from Timaru, NZ

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:14 pm

Howdy and welcome form over here too.

Also unable to see the pictures.

Owen S.