printing a thread

New user in this forum can introduce yourself here. Pictures of new UP Printer, fresh prints from UP Printer, and more.
Maleny

printing a thread

Post by Maleny » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:28 am

I have just bought my first 3D printer an UP Mini. I had a few driver problems to start with but everything is fine now.

I am trying to print a simple screw on cap but I have a problem as shown in the attached photo.
Although I have of course had a play with the settings it made no difference so I have gone back to defaults.

The difference is the one on the left has been printed " lying on its back" and the one on the right has been printed "standing up".
I have cut it in half (in Autodesk 123D Design) so I can see what is going on better and I have not heated the platform as the whole cap would only be about 20mm x 20mm.

Any ideas anybody?

Maleny
Attachments
caps.jpg
caps.jpg (511.89 KiB) Viewed 3392 times

Tiertime-Jason

Re: printing a thread

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:02 am

when standing, the thread is filled with supports.
try to print without support or tune the support area threshold to very large.

Maleny

Re: printing a thread

Post by Maleny » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:17 am

I tried setting the support angle to 10 deg and the support area to 20 mm. That didn't work so I changed the support area to base only and that fixed it.
Thanks for the help.
My only issue with my mini so far is fitting the perf board under spring loaded the platform clamps. It is very difficult to do without exerting more pressure than I am happy to use.
Happy with the printer, happy with the support from 3D Printing Systems and happy with the forum it has heaps of very useful information