I can't print a 1cm cube, can you?

Talk about anything.
whryly

Re: I can't print a 1cm cube, can you?

Post by whryly » Fri May 11, 2012 10:33 pm

Sorry for delay in the much needed update here.

So the unit that I had was NFG.... Seems there was more than one problem because even after being serviced by UP! usa, it was still mis-behaving.
And for those of you searching - I did have the Z axis DROP right in the middle of printing, more than once.
(that is DROP suddenly - "smashing" into the base.... As if the motor lost power - the X&Y continued to operate - at least until it realised the z-limit switch was tripped)
I now have a new base unit, but same everything else.

What did learn this afternoon though, is that I get still get the same results with a cube as above, BUT NOT if I print multiple cubes.
I assume this has to do with a longer time between layers.
I am going to try the wind barrier - just didn't have time yet.

What is interesting though, is that if I print a single 1cm cube, it will actually measure less than, more like 9.6-9.75 in both the x + y.
If I print 3 cubes, they are all 1cm in the x + y....

I am having trouble getting my prints to be at scale.
I still have more testing to do, but everything seems to be smaller than it should be.
But then when run the cube (at lease multiples) it is spot on....

Is there a way to compensate for thinner diameter filament?
I got a roll of material, but it isn't feeding fast enough and I'm getting lines in the x+y....

W

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Fri May 11, 2012 11:21 pm

whryly wrote:Sorry for delay in the much needed update here.

Is there a way to compensate for thinner diameter filament?
I got a roll of material, but it isn't feeding fast enough and I'm getting lines in the x+y....

W
You could try this it works great, I run every bodies ABS and PLA and no problems.
http://pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 112c#p5473
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

whryly

Post by whryly » Mon May 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Thanks Drew,

Will that actually make the motor feed FASTER? I thought that was just to make sure you get a good grip on the material?
I was thinking I needed to actually Increase the volume/speed of the feed motor.
I am getting good extrusion, it's just less because less is being pushed in, and it is just marginally less, so that the actually passes of the print head are more visible - so I think that a minor tweak to the feed speed would fill in those gaps/lines.

As for the actual 1CM cube, the Wind Barrier V7 is a huge help.
I printed a cube and it was even closer in tolerances than before.

W