PLA supports - not breaking away

Talk about anything.
ddodds88

PLA supports - not breaking away

Post by ddodds88 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:22 pm

Good afternoon everyone

I am a school teacher in Scotland and I work in a design department that is fortunate enough to have four Up Plus 2 machines and an Up Box. We find them excellent for our purposes and have got us to a place where we can consistently produce parts at a standard that is perfect for our needs.

A local business has recently donated a load of PLA filaments to us and we are keen to put them to good use given current budget constraints. However, when printing with them we are finding that the support structures are not breaking away at all easily - in sharp contrast to the TierTime Pompeii Grey and Blue PLA that we have previously purchased. The issue appears to be that the material has a much more elastic feel to it unlike the brittle nature of the TierTime materials.

I am keen to put the new materials we have had donated to good use (Makerbot and Verbatim filaments) and in a way that the support material will break away from the model in a similar manner to the TierTime stuff.

I am assuming this will be down to the temperature it is being extruded at, but this is purely a guess...

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

In hope...

David

TiertimeBrook

Re: PLA supports - not breaking away

Post by TiertimeBrook » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:10 am

Hi David

The issue maybe related with the material tempertature has different requirment compared with the tiertime filament,
You can try to lower the material temperature in a range of 5- 10degree by adding a customized material to test the result if can be better

Regards
Brook