Ghost Printing - Cracked Y-Axis Bearing Support

Talk about anything.
Lazer

Ghost Printing - Cracked Y-Axis Bearing Support

Post by Lazer » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:18 pm

Hi All,

I'm interested to know if anyone is having issues with 'Ghost Printing'. Just to clarify, what I mean by Ghost Printing is that at some point during a print, that material stops extruding and your machine continues 'Ghost Print'.

We have 8 Upbox + Printers in our Lab at work which we use for printing Brackets to allow our products to be mounted within Vehicle Grilles and alongside this, I use the printers to produce Jigs & Fixtures to support manufacturing processes. Materials we run are ABS, ABS+ & ASA.

In order to address printing consistency issues, we have had toughened glass plates made which we bond on to a Perf Board with thermally conductive adhesive tape, I then use a thermally activated 3D printing 'Spray Adhesive' on the glass and we print on top - this approach works very well and results in consistently flatter printing surface.

Of the 8 Printers I have in the Lab, presently 4 of them are out for repair under warranty due to a crack in the Y Axis support bearing support - see images below:

Has anyone else suffered with ‘Ghost Printing’ issues and/or a Cracked Y axis bearing support? I’m interested to hear about it if you have! In my experience 'Ghost Printing' results from the failure of this part as highlighted... I'm interested to hear if other users have encountered 'Ghost Printing' or a Cracked Y Axis Bearing Support?

The company that repairs the printers under warranty have yet to get an answer from Teirtime about the cause of & resolution to this issue… Radio Silence and now on the 6th repair of this fault!
Attachments
xxx4.jpg
xxx4.jpg (41.52 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
xxx2.png
xxx2.png (800.23 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
xxx.png
xxx.png (814.84 KiB) Viewed 1435 times

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Re: Ghost Printing - Cracked Y-Axis Bearing Support

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:34 am

Hi.

(a) Yes, both our UPBOX machines had this cracking problem. One failed completely and the head broke off, then flailed around for a complete overnight print, just hanging by the wires, smashing itself to bits...

Neither of our UPBOX+ machines have had this issue. Not sure if that's because the design changed, or just because they're younger and just haven't broken yet.

(b) A more common term on the forum for filament not being extruded mid print is "air printing". The term ghosting tends to be used for things like visible rings in the print around holes.

I'm not saying you're wrong but I'd be surprised if the cracks have anything to do with this. My money would be on partially clogged nozzles (swap out with one cleaned in acetone as soon as there is a hint of a jam), or if the printers are running for a long time probably heatsoak on the extruder head causing the filament to soften, and then jam before getting to the nozzle. (If using original extruders upgrade to dual fan model. If already using the plus then perhaps consider having a few spare extruders and swap in a cold one at the end of a print. This should not be necessary, but we work with what we've got..)

This is why I've been nagging TT to add a proper "filament moving detector" not just a "filament present micro switch".

Cheers, Owen S.