up2 ... any options other than over USB?

Talk about anything.
hoek67

up2 ... any options other than over USB?

Post by hoek67 » Sat May 27, 2017 3:20 pm

Hi, had my UP 2 Plus for quite a while but it's been too dormant due to lack of room.

I originally wanted to do up the back workshop in 2011 but got seriously ill that year and took ages to recover. Well, time marches on and I've decided just to make the outside shed usable so I can use it now rather than later.

OK... at the moment the UP sits on a desk next to me however this may not be the case in the shed.

Just wondering if there is a workable alternative to connecting with USB in order to start print jobs.

Ideally I want the UP not in the same room as people and I really want to avoid having to have some low power pc/notebook just to act as a networked UP station.

Maybe a wi-fi to USB emulator exists? Where my computer thinks it's connected to the UP and the UP thinks it's connected to the computer via USB?

I'm hoping other people have found alternatives other than every UP requiring a computer next to it.

I think off memory the CPU upgrade mentioned wi-fi but the price is prohibitive unless the CPU blows. :geek:

hoek67

Re: up2 ... any options other than over USB?

Post by hoek67 » Sat May 27, 2017 3:28 pm

Actually... might be in luck did some searching and found https://www.virtualhere.com/

If it works as per advertised then it seems I would plug the UBS from the UP into a "device" that is network aware and then the UP should become a virtual UBS connection where the UP thinks it's connected to the computer and vice versa.

Will have to check this out.

However if people have other ideas or solutions it would be great to hear of any alternatives. :D

JuanCR

Post by JuanCR » Sat May 27, 2017 4:18 pm

there's this: http://www.toshiba-memory.com/cms/en/pr ... ductid=737 which people use with their printers, but I don't have any idea if would work in an Up

LovelyTwo

Post by LovelyTwo » Tue May 30, 2017 5:31 am

I've used virtualhere on raspberry pi B with good success, on both the old up software and with up studio.

It occasionally needs a power cycle (probably due to the crappy usb wifi dongle), or fails during uploading slicing but generally it works pretty reliably. The drivers don't handle the host computer sleeping well, at least on a mac.

OCSD3D

Post by OCSD3D » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:39 pm

Why not use OctoPrint, AstroPrint, or 3DPrintOS? I have OctoPrint running on a Raspberry Pi controlling a different 3D printer and it's pretty awesome.