Printing PETG

Talk about anything.
NAST555

Printing PETG

Post by NAST555 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:00 am

Hi all,

So I think I have pretty much got the hand of PLA and ABS printing on my UP Box. Hardly ever any bad prints with the aftermarket stuff that I buy. I have the software temp mod that I use to mainly adjust temps.

I bought some PETG and am struggling my butt off to print with it. I have my head further off the bed when I print with it (it seems to work better this way) and have tried all different type of heat and speed settings but I am still not getting anywhere. It prints the first few layers and then it doesn't start slipping but it is as though it clogs the nozzle and just build up there. I have tried temp settings from 220-250 with no improvement and I have even slowed the print speed waaaay down. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success

pleppik

Re: Printing PETG

Post by pleppik » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:10 am

I've been printing a lot of PETG on my Up. When you can get it dialed in it's amazing material to print with, but it seems to be less forgiving than ABS or PLA. Finding the magic combination of temperature and cooling to give strong parts but easy-to-remove support and rafts is a challenge.

This thread has some more of my experiences: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=55363&p=46795#p46795

NAST555

Post by NAST555 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:57 am

Thanks pleppik!

I guarantee that I will have more questions to come! I have not been using rafts and it seems to be sticking really well to my bed, with me staying further away that I would with ABS or PLA, with hairspray and a glass bed. My problem main problem is the first few layers come out really well and then I start to get slipping and then clogging. I am going to go through that thread and see where I land up.

Thanks again!

NAST555

Post by NAST555 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:55 pm

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

Ok, I drilled my hotend out with a 2.05mm drill, thanks for the tip pleppik!, (it's what I had lying around here but I am sure that it actually drilled a bit oversize) and started getting further in the print but still had issues.

I then started playing around with the FixUp3D settings and was still not really getting any further till I increased the "FEED SCALE" and BOOM first print came out great. I also fed the filament straight into the top of the extruder with the top lid open (not sure if this helped so I will try it the normal way tomorrow with my new settings).
Attachments
2.JPG
2.JPG (911.81 KiB) Viewed 3943 times
1.JPG
1.JPG (675.89 KiB) Viewed 3943 times
PETG.jpg
PETG.jpg (187.2 KiB) Viewed 3943 times

NAST555

Post by NAST555 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:25 pm

8 1/2 hours PETG :)