Filament (Up box)

Talk about anything.
vmstech

Filament (Up box)

Post by vmstech » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:30 am

Hi!

I just have a general question about the filament that can be used in the UP box.

Does the official Tiertime ABS/PLA filament need to be used in the printer? Or can I use filament from other manufacturers (or will it not give as high quality print)?

Also, can I print using other materials, such as nylon, and has anyone had any success in printing with different materials??

I've only just got my UP box and don't want to clog up the extruder with filament that doesn't work (or buy filament that I'm not going to be able to use).

Thanks!

Heather :)

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Re: Filament (Up box)

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:14 am

Hi Heather,

Welcome to the forum.

I've just started to play with different filaments in my Up Box.

So far I've only used the official ABS and ABS+ from TierTime and "ABS PRO" from RS in Orange, White, Silver and Gold.

Results with the RS were fine with the exception of the white, that gave a bunch of nozzle clogs. Price for the RS stuff is just over half that of the official ammunition. It also comes on 1kg rolls so a different approach to holding the rolls is needed.

One of the recent additions to Studio is the ability to set different temp profiles for different materials so expect more people to be tweaking stuff.

I certainly wouldn't shy away from experimenting.

Cheers,

Owen S.

tel

Post by tel » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:57 am

I have been using eSUN ABS and its been working perfectly. I've found the support a little harder to remove with 3rd party filaments but its not to the point of not being usable - it comes off, just needs a bit more effort.
I've struggled a lot more with PLA using 3rd Party filaments, most of them cause the extruder to clunk and then jam, Ive got the odd job to print but nothing consistent (I'm about to try the rapeseed oil trick highlighted in the forum and see if that helps).

As Owen pointed out, the Up Studio 1.004 allows temperature profiles to be added, so its a lot easier now to use 3rd party filaments instead of having to go through the temperature hack.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:55 am

Hi again.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to have a thread with the results of different materials, and the temp profiles used? Might save a load of duplicated effort.

I'm not sure how TierTime would feel about this. We'd effectively then be using their forum to aid users to not have to buy their brand of filament which seems a bit wrong. :shock: On the other hand we now have the adjustable temp profiles for just this task.

Cheers,

Owen S.

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:24 am

We wont mind discussion about third party filaments, as nothing will stop tenacious users to try anyting. :D

arhi

Post by arhi » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:33 pm

Tiertime-Jason wrote:We wont mind discussion about third party filaments, as nothing will stop tenacious users to try anyting. :D

NOW THAT"S A SPIRIT!

btw, I tried so many brands of ABS so far, many way more expensive then teartime one, and I have to say original white ABS that comes for UP! printers - the best ABS I ever had to work with .. There is a "magic ABS" created by Kai Parthy that warps less then ABS from TT but the ease of support removal with TT ABS, consistency of the filament leading to great wall finish .. worth every penny .. I always have a roll of "original" white but I do want to print other materials too :D so thanks for not making it easier now :D

MakerTree3D

Post by MakerTree3D » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:03 am

I'm absolutely looking forward to being able to see a list of the materials other than from TT that anyone else is able to successfully get to work through their Up Box printers. I get excellent and predictable results with the official TT ABS and PLA. With the introduction of the Up Studio software, and it opening up the ability to create custom demo profiles for other materials, I'm unable to get a complete print with a number of varying materials, ranging from Proto-Pasta HT carbon fiber PLA, ColorFabb PLA/PHA, BuMat nylon, ColorFabb black XT. I've tried each material extensively, covering a range of temperatures within the recommended temps, and what I've seen a couple others on here having used.

I can get the material to feed with the extrude button in Maintenence in Up Studio. It always feed properly this way, but once a print is start, it's either jammed up immediately (not a bed distance issue), or the filament gets jammed shortly after the print begins. The issue doesn't seem to be coming from a jammed nozzle though, since I can withdraw and re-feed without any issues. The withdrawn jammed filament seems to have a bit of a knot at the end of it vs, any other time that a non-jammed filament is withdrawn. This leads me to believe that the problem may be attributed to retraction or the throat is heating up too far up the tube creating swelling of the filament in the upper end of the nozzle throat.

With this said, the Jams this causes, aren't serious in way that requires disassembly of the extruder to clear it out, but rather just a withdraw and re-feed gets everything flowing great again. I've also tried the aforementioned materials with the fan shroud set to open and closed to see if directing the fan airflow over the nozzle heatsink any differently to reduce temps to the upper end of the throat, but no luck. The fan is indeed blowing the correct direction, downwards into the shroud and wasn't reversed as I heard someone else has had with their Up Box. Every one of these spools of filament I've tested were all opened new from their sealed packages just prior to loading it into the Up Box. I'm able to print with this materials through our printers that utilize E3D v6 hotends, except for the nylon which appeared as though it was going to print perfectly with the Up Box, until it jammed about 5 layers into the part print after completing the raft.

Is anyone else experiencing this with trying to use other materials in their Up Box printers? It looks like there has been some luck with other materials for some users, whether having used an add-on like the Octave or the new Up Studio software that allows custom material profiles to be created. After hours of issues with dozens of attempts on multiple occasions, I'm always able to withdraw the problem filament and load either the official TT PLA or ABS and everything goes perfectly again. I certainly don't mind using the TT filament, but I do also love to have the option to work with some other specialty filaments like ColorFabb XT, and nylon for projects as well.

Thanks in advance for any insight that can be shared that can help me to overcome this issue.

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:01 am

Base on my experience, composite and flexible material need slower print speed, use the "fine" mode could give better result than other speeds.

The print head extruder motor could heat up and soften filament before it enters the heater cartridge, this could be alleviated by opening the top cover of UP BOX, set a custom profile that does not heat up the print bed (set to 10C), keep the room temperature below 30C on and etc.

arhi

Post by arhi » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:31 pm

well if we get bit more then one temp it would help out with number of materials, help with overhangs, bridges, raft/support separation etc.. but even this is great ... now the way UP! extruder is set I doubt you can do very good quality soft material printing, also any "cold printing" materials like PLA will have issues with extruder motor being hot and the steel tube of the hot end being not cold enough .. first few retractions will go trough and then after few moments the retraction is going to stuck and filament will jam. With some "advanced options" enabled slicer you will reduce the retraction significantly in order to solve this problem but since UP software have no clue you are not printing with "Advanced ABS" they retract "as usual" and these blockages will happen for sure... I don't really expect TT to put all this advanced functionality into UP series of printers as their idea, as far as I understand, was always to push "point and click" solution anyone can use. get a material from them, it will print perfectly with software taht has 3 buttons and that's it .. I want to meddle of course so I have other printers to do that with, for UP! I'd be happy enough if I get few more temps (for raft, for support, for last layer of support and first layer of object) .. everything else I'm not using UP! for...

now IMO smart move for them would be to "sponsor" that guy doing the reprap g-code to UP conversion, if not in money then in data so that he don't need to decompile the packets going trough usb.. by giving him full protocol info and some small support he could make interface for the UP! that will perfectly work with slic3r, cura.. and then the original UP! software remains simple for those that want simple, and other can play with the cura or can write their own slicer if thats what they desire :)

vmstech

Post by vmstech » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:28 am

OwenSparks wrote: I wonder if it would be worthwhile to have a thread with the results of different materials, and the temp profiles used? Might save a load of duplicated effort.
Love this idea, think it could really save us all some time!

Cheers,
Heather

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:52 am

Hi folks.

As discussed.

Aftermarket Filament thread.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=55392

Cheers,

Owen S.

polytch

Post by polytch » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:00 pm

MakerTree3D wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:03 am
... I certainly don't mind using the TT filament, but I do also love to have the option to work with some other specialty filaments like ColorFabb XT, and nylon for projects as well.

Thanks in advance for any insight that can be shared that can help me to overcome this issue.
Hi. Were you able to find a way to successfully print with the ColorFabb XT-CF20? I've run through all of the variations you discussed using my Up Mini 2 and have had a similar experience.