what's your ideal app?

Talk about anything.
Post Reply
User avatar
Tiertime_Betty
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:17 am

what's your ideal app?

Post by Tiertime_Betty » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:07 pm

for mobile phone,anything is ok

stella
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 7:42 am

Re: what's your ideal app?

Post by stella » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:00 am

mobile app would not have good experience on 3D designing in my opinion, only good for simple 3D functions....

brainzilla
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:41 pm

Re: what's your ideal app?

Post by brainzilla » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:18 pm

Mobile makes no sense for a beginner-level printer.
Just give the printer the option for a web-end where I can upload STLs and set some parameters if any.

User avatar
Tiertime-Jason
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 4:31 am

Re: what's your ideal app?

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:18 pm

I think incorprate this forum into app could be a quite convenient for me. :roll:

stella
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 7:42 am

Re: what's your ideal app?

Post by stella » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:40 am

lbbetty wrote:for mobile phone,anything is ok
are you looking for one or planning to develop one?

stella
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 7:42 am

Re: what's your ideal app?

Post by stella » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:42 am

brainzilla wrote:Mobile makes no sense for a beginner-level printer.
Just give the printer the option for a web-end where I can upload STLs and set some parameters if any.
agreed. but app with quite easy functions might be good for kids to experience 3D and be attracted to learn 3D.

arhi
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:51 pm

Re: what's your ideal app?

Post by arhi » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:07 am

Tiertime-Jason wrote:I think incorprate this forum into app could be a quite convenient for me. :roll:
?? this is classic phpbb, there should be more then one app for both ios and android that can interact directly with it?
iirc tapatalk is the most famous one

or you are talking about something else?

brainzilla
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:41 pm

Re: what's your ideal app?

Post by brainzilla » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:41 am

stellaxin wrote:agreed. but app with quite easy functions might be good for kids to experience 3D and be attracted to learn 3D.
I really don't see how kids "learn" ANYTHING with tablets and cellphones, other than consuming premade content and developing an addiction for pay-to-play games.
Teach them how a file-browser works, what a secure password is and what happens if they fail at that, show them how applications work, all that.
In regards to 3D printing: When they start on geometry in school, accompany that with first steps in CAD for example. Talk about sustainability, being able to repair things - unlike the other 90% of people who just throw away stuff because they have no idea that it is a 2€ fix.
Saying "Here you click on an object and then it comes out the other end…" is just another part of the entitlement-bubble.

And UP! needs no iPad/whatsoever new app, they need to add things like slicer-preview, more intelligent auto-placement, automatic time-estimation when I arrange the parts (ideal would be with multiple setting-presets).

And here is one feature I really want: Starting a print in 0.3mm layers for the bulk and then having details on top printed in 0.1mm layers. Or just where it is needed in 1/2 thickness - like for holes.
Or some optimized infill-strategy so that 2mm walls get some basic structural fill when printing in loose infill.

arhi
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:51 pm

Re: what's your ideal app?

Post by arhi » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:52 am

brainzilla wrote: And UP! needs no iPad/whatsoever new app, they need to add things like slicer-preview, more intelligent auto-placement, automatic time-estimation when I arrange the parts (ideal would be with multiple setting-presets).
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

brainzilla wrote: And here is one feature I really want: Starting a print in 0.3mm layers for the bulk and then having details on top printed in 0.1mm layers. Or just where it is needed in 1/2 thickness - like for holes.
Or some optimized infill-strategy so that 2mm walls get some basic structural fill when printing in loose infill.
we had, with skeinforge, some 6 years ago, ability to have infill layers 4 times higher then perimeter .. so you print 4 layers of perimeter (0.1mm) and then one layer of infill (0.4mm) .. you get perfect resolution, great look, and fast & strong print due to thick infill...

it would be good to be able to select "regions" of the print or use multipart stl and define regions by "part" and then have different params for different regions (this region don't use support, that one do 0.1mm fine, the other one do 0.4mm fast..) but I guess that's a lot of work to make... the thick infill thing is few hours of development tops and results are awesome when done properly

Tiger
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:41 pm

Re: what's your ideal app?

Post by Tiger » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:02 pm

Do you mean app for printing or modeling?

Post Reply