What do you do using 3D printer?

Talk about anything.
stella

Re: What do you do using 3D printer?

Post by stella » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:11 am

arhi wrote:hahahha, calm, calm, :D sorry .. was boiling, had to vent .. was in a fight about that subject for a week with my designer .. totally out of context on this forum .. my apologies to everyone (if there is a moderator it's perfectly ok to just delete that post)
:lol: please just keep that post. Actually I am also confused for expert users to use mobile device, is it a trend? Still depends on specific functions IMHO.

vmstech

Post by vmstech » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:36 am

Hi!

1. Printer is used (and kept) at work.
2. Used for engineering development of various parts, test rigs etc. Also for creating scaled down models of the products we actually make.
3. I'm using Solid Edge/Inventor, both are very good pieces of software.

I hope that's enough info for you. Anything else, let me know!

Heather :)

stella

Post by stella » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:59 am

vmstech wrote:Hi!

1. Printer is used (and kept) at work.
2. Used for engineering development of various parts, test rigs etc. Also for creating scaled down models of the products we actually make.
3. I'm using Solid Edge/Inventor, both are very good pieces of software.

I hope that's enough info for you. Anything else, let me know!

Heather :)
thank you very much! very helpful! I like both solidedge and inventor, ;-P

Magic

Post by Magic » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:04 pm

1. Use 3d printer at home or Work?

I've been using an UP2Plus for almost 4 years at work for R&D.

2. Use 3d printer to make toys for children or use it by yourself(and to do what)?

I use it to make prototype models to help develop and prove new designs before investing in plastic injection mould tools. I've also used it to make one-off and small volume production working parts, such as mounting brackets, spacers etc. I've even used it to make gears to drive the lead screw on a lathe as I needed a specific feed ratio for coil winding... that saved the life of a job!

3. What 3D modeling software are you using? Meet your expectation?

My 3D CAD is 'Solid Works' its an industrial level dimension driven solids modeller, its easy to use and makes engineers like me look clever ;) So that part more than meets with what I need. As for 3D printer software I've only used the UP GUI. It's OK in as much it does for the job most of the time. But it is badly designed, illogical in some respects and virtually hides, so I forget about them, important print parameters. It would be nice to be able to save print parameters with a friendly name, save your print recipe. Other little things like automatically pre-heat the platform,isn't it obvious that if I've turned on the printer there's a really good chance I might want to print something :roll: I could go on, in another thread maybe ;)

stella

Post by stella » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:16 am

DaveARM wrote:1. Use 3d printer at home or Work?

I've been using an UP2Plus for almost 4 years at work for R&D.

2. Use 3d printer to make toys for children or use it by yourself(and to do what)?

I use it to make prototype models to help develop and prove new designs before investing in plastic injection mould tools. I've also used it to make one-off and small volume production working parts, such as mounting brackets, spacers etc. I've even used it to make gears to drive the lead screw on a lathe as I needed a specific feed ratio for coil winding... that saved the life of a job!

3. What 3D modeling software are you using? Meet your expectation?

My 3D CAD is 'Solid Works' its an industrial level dimension driven solids modeller, its easy to use and makes engineers like me look clever ;) So that part more than meets with what I need. As for 3D printer software I've only used the UP GUI. It's OK in as much it does for the job most of the time. But it is badly designed, illogical in some respects and virtually hides, so I forget about them, important print parameters. It would be nice to be able to save print parameters with a friendly name, save your print recipe. Other little things like automatically pre-heat the platform,isn't it obvious that if I've turned on the printer there's a really good chance I might want to print something :roll: I could go on, in another thread maybe ;)
thanks very much! very helpful!
Plastic injection......are you using Moldflow for simulation?