What do you do using 3D printer?

Talk about anything.
stella

What do you do using 3D printer?

Post by stella » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:38 am

Hello all,

I want to make a survey, please reply. thanks in advance!
1. Use 3d printer at home or Work?
2. Use 3d printer to make toys for children or use it by yourself(and to do what)?
3. What 3D modeling software are you using? Meet your expectation?

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Re: What do you do using 3D printer?

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:25 am

(1) Work
(2) No kids. Production engineering, test / assy jigs and the likes.
(3) Onshape - Yes it's great.

Hope that helps,

Owen S

woofy

Post by woofy » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:30 pm

1. Work
2. engineering prototypes
3. Geomagic. No, crashes allot.
UP plus, Ultimaker2 & Raise N2+ Printers.

arhi

Post by arhi » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:04 am

1. both home and work (I work from home so it's the same space)
2. both, make trinkets for kid, repair stuff kid broke on his toys, make different stuff for my robotics and electronics projects that are easier to print then to route out on a 2.5D cnc mill
3. 80% solidworks, 10% openscad, 10% everything else (art of illusion, heekscad, freecad..)

stella

Post by stella » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:09 am

Thanks Owen! I also think Onshape is great!
OwenSparks wrote:(1) Work
(2) No kids. Production engineering, test / assy jigs and the likes.
(3) Onshape - Yes it's great.

Hope that helps,

Owen S

stella

Post by stella » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:12 am

Thanks Woofy! Why not look for another software as Geomagic crashes a lot?
woofy wrote:1. Work
2. engineering prototypes
3. Geomagic. No, crashes allot.

stella

Post by stella » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:16 am

Thanks Arhi! Wow, you are expert on modeling software!

I assume solidworks is used for work. and openscad for home (is it too slow to you)? How old is your kid? Will you teach him/her 3D modeling/printing?
arhi wrote:1. both home and work (I work from home so it's the same space)
2. both, make trinkets for kid, repair stuff kid broke on his toys, make different stuff for my robotics and electronics projects that are easier to print then to route out on a 2.5D cnc mill
3. 80% solidworks, 10% openscad, 10% everything else (art of illusion, heekscad, freecad..)

arhi

Post by arhi » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:58 pm

no, for work I use gcc and gdb :D ... everything else is just hobby :D
expert? no, not even close, the fact that I know how to use number of cad/cam tools is just 'cause I come from country where for a price of empty CD you could have any software you want .. I started with imagine back in the day, went trough all the autodesk crap, moved to soft imagine, xsi, maya, blender.. then 3d printing came (till then I used qcad for 90% of my 2.5d milling while the rest 10% I typed gcode in vi :D ) and I moved to these more "technical" cad tools, I started first with AoI, I still use it frequently as I have number of scripts written for it, fairly easy to make some programmatically generated patterns in it (like involute gears for example..) .. then tried some free variants of good cad tools varicad, that thing that is now creo (they had free version), then another very good (can't remember the name, popular in 3d printing world) free parametric one, but then they killed the free version, then moved to "fixed" versions of proengineer, procad, solidworks, solid edge and stayed with solidworks .. it's def. the best one imo ... parallel to it I'm testing freecad/heekscad but they still have a long way to go, I use openscad for most of open source projects and for most of small cnc adapters as it's actually, for single machine parts, faster then anything else!! not slow at all .. now if you need to mesh number of parts then creating assemblies in openscad is almost impossible so .. I (yesterday) tried also the onshape after I seen it here in this thread, made few small parts with it, nice but, no parametric design, no variables for dimensions at all, not even references, my 3d mouse don't work, it's web so of course not really responsive, lag is significant, can be used but .. imo it's in the freecad/heekscad category, not nearly as useful as solidworks or openscad ... so I know how to use bunch of tools, not an expert in any of them, far from that, I'm at some "after beginner" level on all of them, but it gets me the parts I need :)

so no, openscad is not slow, and no not using sw for work :)

kid is a boy, will be 3 in a month

I will teach him anything he will want to learn .. attm I'm trying to teach him numbers and letters but he's not interested .. he likes to play with screwdrivers, hammers, and "fix" things, but .. we'll see .. who knows maybe in 6 months he will want something else .. I won't push him, but whatever he show interested in I'll try to help him out, imo that's the best parent can do.. for now..

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:46 am

Hi Arhi.

Great to have a chat with someone who has experience across a broad range of SW 8-)

At the risk of sounding like a Onshape fanboy there most certainly are variables for dimensions, they're declared with the (x) button in the toolbar and can be used wherever you like. Formulas can also be used. So for example you could declare "boltholediameter" and "wallthickness" and then reference a dimension as (3*boltholediameter - wallthickness +1/2 inch -2mm) if you really wanted to.

I agree the need for a decent internet connection can be a drag but he upside is all the heavy lifting is done on their servers so it'll run on anything with a browser no matter how weedy the machine, or tablet or mac. No files to worry about it's in your cloud account, and no saving, ever, but a complete history so roll back to anything you like.

3D mice are now beginning to be supported. What do you have?

New updates every 2 weeks so it's still very much in its infancy but getting better all the time.

BTW I agree it's certainly not in the same class as the grown up packages yet but Onshape's founder also happened to found a little company called solidworks but decided to leave and start from fresh. I can't wait to see where it is in a year's time...

Cheers,

Owen S

stella

Post by stella » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:47 am

Hi Arhi and Owen,

It's good to chat with you. Onshape is leading 3D modeling direction. Another Cloud CAD is geekcad which is too easy to use in work, might can be used for education.

Stella

arhi

Post by arhi » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:18 pm

@stella, nice, will check it out, the more the merrier

@owen, hm, I was not able to figure it out and on their forum I seen that you can't do it .. for e.g. in SW I can create a sketch, make for e.g. a polygon, set a side to be 5mm, then set b side to be a*10, then set c to be b - lenght of some side from another sketch .. in OS I can't even make a square with a=5 and b=a/2 :( .. will try your suggestions now, maybe it's more usable then I originally believe and maybe those forum informations are old :D .. wouldn't be the first time .. I would like to have some of my open source designs in the cloud and that is certainly better place then thingiverse :D ... too bad they can't work with STL's :( but few can (that's where AoI comes handy :D )

wrt internet I have 100/5 here, it's not the internet speed that's problem, it's this whole javascript everything thing that gets on me nerves .. this is some pretty decent and recent i7 with 64G of ram.. shouldn't lag that much :( but then again, it's web

3dmice.. hm I never seen it work in web, would be interesting ... latest solidworks fscked something up it's not working good I'll have to reconfigure it.. on the other hand past few versions of freecad work great with it :D ... I use old, original, spacepilot :D that was being sold under HP brand (made by 3DConnexion), the flat one, not that ugly spacey curvy one :D ... never felt a need to upgrade it :D .. anyhow, having it work with OS would make OS way more usable for me :)

anyhow, I like the idea, I love the pricing scheme it fits perfect to me .. if the parametric stuff starts working and they, sometimes in future, add something like "import stl and convert to solid" I'm moving over 50% of my modeling there..

edit: interesting, I can configure (with X) variables .. they have to exist "before" the feature or are not recognized and I there are no auto-references like in SW but this is actually totally usable!!! thanks for the hint!!
Last edited by arhi on Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arhi

Post by arhi » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:22 pm

@stella http://geekcad.com/ ?

[strike]I can't find the link to change to a language I can read :([/strike]
ignore, found it .. what's wrong with current designers ?!?!?!?! everyone working from phone resolutions !?!

stella

Post by stella » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:27 am

arhi wrote:@stella http://geekcad.com/ ?

[strike]I can't find the link to change to a language I can read :([/strike]
ignore, found it .. what's wrong with current designers ?!?!?!?! everyone working from phone resolutions !?!
Designs can be viewed and shared through phone, while most of the designs are worked through PC/laptop, not through mobile. As mobile experience is not ready yet, except the painting function/picture to 3D function.

Right above of the page, there's an icon following user name, click it and select language. But I think if automatically change language to a proper one according to login domain would be much better.

stella

Post by stella » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:52 am

@ arhi , what do you mean about current designers? :?

arhi

Post by arhi » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:04 am

@stella, as I said I found it but dunno how to explain, it's a fscking dot 2x2mm or less on my 27" screen .. how the fsck someone finds that ok ?! The time of 800x600 web is over... it's over for over a decade :D

"current designers" -> the retards doing desing in 201x years, that's what I mean when I say "current designers" ... they all try to design for mobile fscking apps not understanding that professionals don't fscking work on mobile phones but big screens .. making a design that works both on a 5" screen and qudruple 27" 2560x1440 view AIN'T WORKING ON ANY OF THEM! ... and they are fscking doing it everywhere, web, windesktop, lindesktop, everything going to hell with this mobile look boolshit .. professionals don't grease their screens with their fingers, professionals use professional input devices and viewing devices are big, high resolution and kept clean.. designing everything for touch and <10" viewport is the trend that makes me sick

brainzilla

Post by brainzilla » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:20 pm

arhi wrote:designing everything for touch and <10" viewport is the trend that makes me sick
Yeah 100% true!
Remember the 90s/early 2000s when you combed through the whole web all night to find a browser-detection that could handle that new sub-version of IE because your menu was not showing? You made it work after all but it was a terrible development-process.
These days you have a ton of powerful frameworks that reduce all this guesswork to "is this a 27" Mac or an iPhone 4S?" in a simple JS-call.
Same goes for adapting the enduser's screensize - is it mobile? make it work like iOS. Is it a desktop-machine? Make it work differently.

arhi

Post by arhi » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:44 pm

yes but they are either lazy to make the desktop work differently or they are retarded so don't understand the need ... most I know are actually retarded, they *want* desktop to look like mobile .... it's the "trend" .. fucktards :( ... if I had time I'd make a fotosop like app that have "mobile" interface and make them use it.. maybe they'd understand :( .. I start the app on 27" screen and have a 2x2mm button that does 8192 functions and rest 27" of empty space .. 'cause "on phone you don't have enough room for many buttons" ... fsck do I care how many buttons you can cram on a mobile device for app that no normal person would ever run on a fscking cell phone :( ... and it's not just windoze devs with the metro crap, both linux and osx are on the same idiotic path :(

but ... this is not the time nor the place ..

ricks01

Post by ricks01 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:22 pm

arhi wrote:yes but they are either lazy to make the desktop work differently or they are retarded so don't understand the need ... most I know are actually retarded, they *want* desktop to look like mobile .... it's the "trend" .. fucktards :( ... if I had time I'd make a fotosop like app that have "mobile" interface and make them use it.. maybe they'd understand :( .. I start the app on 27" screen and have a 2x2mm button that does 8192 functions and rest 27" of empty space .. 'cause "on phone you don't have enough room for many buttons" ... fsck do I care how many buttons you can cram on a mobile device for app that no normal person would ever run on a fscking cell phone :( ... and it's not just windoze devs with the metro crap, both linux and osx are on the same idiotic path :(

CALM DOWN

arhi

Post by arhi » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:28 pm

hahahha, calm, calm, :D sorry .. was boiling, had to vent .. was in a fight about that subject for a week with my designer .. totally out of context on this forum .. my apologies to everyone (if there is a moderator it's perfectly ok to just delete that post)

stella

Post by stella » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:08 am

arhi wrote:yes but they are either lazy to make the desktop work differently or they are retarded so don't understand the need ... most I know are actually retarded, they *want* desktop to look like mobile .... it's the "trend" .. fucktards :( ... if I had time I'd make a fotosop like app that have "mobile" interface and make them use it.. maybe they'd understand :( .. I start the app on 27" screen and have a 2x2mm button that does 8192 functions and rest 27" of empty space .. 'cause "on phone you don't have enough room for many buttons" ... fsck do I care how many buttons you can cram on a mobile device for app that no normal person would ever run on a fscking cell phone :( ... and it's not just windoze devs with the metro crap, both linux and osx are on the same idiotic path :(

:lol: :lol: :lol: Calm down, it is still too easy to expert users, so Education is the target. And there's quite easy function which is convenient to be used on mobile devices - paint function.